Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Court Street News

oo
A glorious day deserves a walk, so after my cup of Java, after doing some important but tedious tasks, I made my way down Court Street all the way to the Central Post office in Downtown Brooklyn. And since I now see the world through blogger's eyes, here is a tiny report of what's happening on that stretch.

I have to admit. I never thought I would see the day, but here it is: the Community Book Store, long neglected and downright dingy is getting some much needed repair. Who would have thought it? For those who are not from around here, words can not describe the absolute disarray in the store: piles and piles of books in no discernable order. The outside did not look better.
Now this work is being done. Is the owner ready to give his storefront an entire face lift, or is he just repairing what was ready to fall down? Maybe it has been taken over by someone new?
Does anybody know?.
But just as a little aside: Last year, my son, Moody Teen, needed a biography on Golda Meir, and he needed it fast ( don't ask). Barnes and Nobles on Court did not have a copy in stock, Book Court would have needed to order it too and a third bookstore in Manhattan did not carry it in the store either. My son was getting desperate, when in a moment of absolute clarity, I knew where I could find him a copy: at the Community Bookstore. Moody Teen was doubtful, having never set foot in the store, but none-the-less, he agreed to ride his bike down there to see. Sure enough, the long haired, bearded owner knew exactly were to find a copy of Golda Meir's biography in his many dusty stacks of books. Now that's a book store worth having.
I hope the new cornice means that it will stay around for a while longer.




Oh, how I miss the little Renaissance Pharmacy. Run by two lovely ladies, it closed just a few months ago. Come to think of it, it was just about the time that the CVS opened three blocks further on Court. Coincidence??? What a loss the closing is for the neighborhood. Many a time, I had to pick up a prescription for my kids when they were small and had yet another ear infection. The ladies were always so kind and had such reassuring words for me when I felt frazzled.
The storefront has been empty since spring. But in the last few days, there has been action. The place has been gutted. Does anybody know what is going in? Please tell me its not another over-priced boutique or a restaurant. Pleeeeaaaase !
And last but not least, a little yellow duckie sitting on the stoop railing of Court and President.
May he find his owner....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is he ever going to take those moldy books out of the window?

Kelly said...

Now, I think they will stay there as long as he will run the store....I really don't think he is running the store to make money. Rather, he likes to be surrounded by his books and does not need the money. And I do believe he owns that house.
It was for sale a couple of years ago. But no takers!