Sunday, March 29, 2009

Reader Comment Of The Day: "That's What I Miss"

oo



Regarding the post:
Hey, Neighbors! Pardon Me For Asking, But...

A reader had this to answer to the question:


"If you ever moved away from Carroll Gardens,
what restaurant would you miss the most?"

Restaurants? I've lived here all my life, and the restaurants were not at the top of my list.
What I would miss:
The Good Friday Procession at St. Stephen's Church.

Walking down Court St and stopping every 20 feet to say hello to a neighbor.
Walking around the neighborhood at Christmas time to see the holiday decorations.
The front gardens.

I would miss being able to do all my grocery shopping on foot, never using a car.
I would miss Court Pastry...even if I have to wait on line for an hour at Christmas time.
And while I am on the topic..
Things I miss from the old Carroll Gardens:
The Maria Addolorata Feast

The St. Mary's Bazaar

The "Pork Butcher Shops" on Court Street

Frances' Vegetable Store
Tucker,
the vegetable vendor w/ the horse

Hearing the old timers speaking Italian along Court St.

Watching Bocci in Carroll Park (there was a fist fight once between 2 old men)
Going to Sunday Mass w/ St. Mary's Class.
St Mary's Band and having my Grandparents and all my aunts, uncles and cousins around.
That's what I miss.



For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i remember when my sister recieved communion, our parents took us to Cafiero's, president and columbia street, yeah, my mom said she would never leave brooklyn but she moved to queens, she had to for some reason, oh, cioffi's pastry, union and columbia, i guess 50 years from now, well, nice blog

ELE said...

What's weird is I miss all those things and I wasn't even here to experience them. I am a lifelong Brooklynite, but have only been in Carroll Gardens six years. Even in that short time, I have seen many changes. But if you listen, you can still hear the men speaking Italian. Much still remains...

Anonymous said...

We moved from the old neighborhood in the early sixties. I was nine years old at the time. I stayed with cousins for about a month on Henry Street to finish up 3rd grade in St Mary's Star of the Sea. We would visit often, still have family there. It was never often enough for me. I found this post looking for the Feast of Madonna Addororata. Everything that was said would be missed is true and even more. Now, at almost 53 years old, I still cherish my memories that time and do everything I can to seek them out.