Monday, May 16, 2011

Best Comment Of The Day: Here Is To You, Joe!

oo

Gina has left the following comment on the post The End Of An Era: Joe's Superette Closes After More Than 50 years":
Joe's is indeed a Carroll Gardens institution. I can't tell you what a lifeline it was for those of us who grew up in the 60's and 70's.
Joe, his lovely wife Ann and their two sons, Joseph and Steven (they didn't have a daughter) were always behind that counter, with a smile and a hello that made you feel that you were part of a family. Ann's sister (her name escapes me) was there a lot of the time too.
How many pounds of cold cuts, how may rolls, prosciutto and rice balls did my mother purchase there. How many Manhattan Specials did we consume on a hot summers day that we bought there.
Joe would always tell the story of when I was a baby, how my mother would sit me on the counter and I would ask for "cheese please. And Joe, the good, kind soul that he was, would give in to my command and slice me a piece.
So heres to you Joe and Leo and the whole Superette family. Thanks for the memories, the good food and the many friendships that we made along the way.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

No comments: