Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Fond Farewell To John Raskin, State Senator Squadron's Chief Of Staff

oo
IMG_1686

IMG_1690

IMG_1687
Julie Raskin, John Raskin, Jeff Erickson

As many of you may already know, John Raskin has stepped down as State Senator Squadron's Chief Of Staff to pursue new opportunities and "to get some sleep." In a statement sent out at the beginning of May, Raskin writes:
It's sad because I will miss working with so many dedicated community members, with our entire Team Squadron, and, most importantly, so closely with Daniel. It has been a unique privilege to work for such a dedicated, hardworking elected official and such an aggressive advocate for reform in state government. I will, of course, continue to consider him a close
friend and offer him my advice and counsel--whether it's solicited or not! I will also remain as Senator Squadron's appointee to the board of the Brooklyn Bridge Park Corporation and its Committee on Alternatives to Housing.
Fortunately, I am able to leave my responsibilities in immensely qualified hands: Tim Roberts, who has served as chief of staff to Council Members David Yassky and Jimmy van Bramer, will take over the chief of staff role.
Amy Spitalnick, who is joining our office this week, will serve as communications director and press secretary. A great thanks to everyone who has made this adventure in state government so rewarding over the past couple years. I look forward to working with many of you again, in new capacities, down the road.
Best, John
Personally, I was sad to hear the news that John is moving on, since it was always a real pleasure dealing with him. I appreciated his professionalism and the fact that he was always accessible to neighborhood bloggers like me. I am glad to know that he will stay involved in local issues.
I was able to say good-bye to John personally at a gathering on Friday night, where I got to meet his lovely sister Julie and her boyfriend Jeff Erickson, who, it turns out, is an avid Pardon Me reader.

John, Julie and Jeff, I hope that we bump into each other often in the future.

No comments: