Monday, October 17, 2011

Much Accomplished In Carroll Park During "It's My Park Day"

oo
  IMG_3912
IMG_3915
IMG_3924
IMG_3926
IMG_3916
IMG_3906
IMG_3901
IMG_3913
IMG_3903
IMG_3921
IMG_3910
IMG_3895
IMG_3897
IMG_3890

Friends Of Carroll Park were joined by neighborhood volunteers of all ages  on Saturday for the official city-wide "It's My Park Day." There was much to be done before winter.  Weeds needed pulling, flowers needed mulching, bushes needed pruning and of course, litter needed to be picked up.  But it wasn't just work.  Actors from Smith Street Stage gave the kids a demonstration in sword-fighting.  Afterwards, the children were invited to create a project at the arts-and crafts table.  
Afterwards, the park looked amazing. One does wonder though, why only a handful of people here in the community join these volunteer events.  With all the parents using the park with their kids year-round, one would expect many more people willing to give up two or three hours on a lovely Saturday morning to help the effort.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. I had to attend Clean up my Apartment Day or I would have helped out. I miss it every year and I live 3 blocks away. Glad so many peeps help our special patch of green.

Katia said...

Ha, love it. I could use one of those cleaning days at my house as well.
Perhaps you can join us for the spring park clean-up.