Thursday, July 09, 2015

Of Albi, Toulouse Lautrec And A Viaduct

oo
Albi
Albi
Albi
Albi
Albi
Albi
Albi
Albi
Albi
Albi
Albi
Albi
Albi
Albi
Albi
Albi
Albi
Albi
I had always wanted to return to Albi ever since visiting as a young girl.  Since our travels brought it right past this year, it was clear that my husband and I would take some time to visit.I had been impressed by the beauty of this small town so many years ago. It was just as charming as I
remembered it.

The cathedral Cathedral Basilica of Saint Cecilia, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is simply stunning. More than anything, I enjoyed our visit to the museum dedicated to Albi's native son, Toulouse Lautrec.

Our travels towards the Auvergne region of France continued across the magnificent viaduct at Millau, the tallest bridge in the world, which spans the Tarn valley. Completed in 2004, it was designed by architect Norman Foster.  It is a absolutely stunning and an amazing engineering achievement.

Albi
Albi




2 comments:

Mary said...

Wish I could join you at that little outdoor cafe in Albi for une verre de vin. It looks so inviting. I watched a video at work a while ago on the construction of that bridge. It really is stunning. Another piece of stunning modern architecture is at the train station in Lyon. I don't know if your travels take you there.

I do have to say that today was one of New York City's most exciting and moving with the parade of the women's soccer team up Broadway. It was really fantastic, and beautiful weather too. It's worth catching a video on line.

Happy traveling, Mary

Katia said...

Good morning from France, Mary. I am sorry I missed the parade yesterday. Glad to kno the weather is not too beastly back home. here, it has been super dry and hot. I am not complaining after last year's non-stop rain.