Monday, October 01, 2007

Carniceria Bites The Dust On Smith

oo


The restaurant formerly known as Banania, then Porchetta and last but not least Carniceria is closed again. One of the first Smith Street locations to be turned into a restaurant, its recent past has been more than troubled. What's next? Who will take a chance? And what will it turn into: another restaurant, another boutique, the sixth "Area" store on the strip or something that we can actually use?
Click here for a New York Magazine article on the last incarnation


And another one bites the dust. This one does not surprise me though it was open no more than 5-6 months. It never really too off.

And at 157, a more optimistic store owner is renovating . I don't even remember what was in that storefront before. Was it a dry cleaner/laundromat? Does anyone remember?
*Notice the little sliver of alley between the two buildings. I swear I was never aware of it until last week.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was it that metallic blue 'call home cheap' storefront?

Kelly said...

I didn't understand it either. They sure did not try very hard. I think the last incarnation was just thrown together in about five minutes. No real concept of what the place was supposed to be.

Anonymous said...

The one with the 'sliver of an alley' - that's what I was referring to as the metallic blue overseas calling place...I think that's what it was.
But yes, the 'Carniceria', that seemed to be ill-conceived. (Too bad about Porchetta...where else could you get a Pork Rind Margherita' ???)

Kelly said...

I see. My mistake. I know which one you are referring to. Yes, it had a neon sign in front and some little sparkly things. Yes, it could have been that place.
But the silver paint used on the storefront of Carniceria was also god awful.

Anonymous said...

157 was an apartment.

Katia said...

An apartment? Man, I sure don't remember, but if you say so.
These new places sure open at lightning speed. I as I said, it is difficult to remember what kind of store, or apartment was there before.

Anonymous said...

the silver alley- never was there ever - passed it number of years,whatever is it there for- what a gap between buildings,is this allowed?