Saturday, November 24, 2007

Forget Black Friday. Enjoying The Neighborhood Is So Much Nicer!

oo








Now I know that I am not an American and that I have never truly warmed up to the Thanksgiving tradition, but there is something truly weird about stuffing oneself with countless variations of starchy foods and then, without having much of a chance to digest, head to the stores at 5 Am to do some holiday shopping.
This morning, as I watched the sun rise over the most beautiful clear blue sky, thousands were on the road already to take advantage of Early Bird specials. Not me. I stayed right here in Carroll Gardens and enjoyed the peace and quiet that only comes with a four day week-end. And peaceful it was. Hardly any cars drove past my house. Occasionally, a family, bundled up against the cold, walked by on their way to Carroll Park or to brunch on Smith. It was lovely. I could almost visualize what it must have been likey in the neighborhood so long ago, before so many cars were on the road.
Holiday shopping? Yes, I have to get that done, but certainly not at the crack of dawn, the day after giving thanks. For those of you who shopped all day, you missed a lovely day in the neighborhood.

2 comments:

Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

I spent my day much the same way. It was a beautiful day to get out and enjoy the last of the leaves.

Kelly said...

Hi Gardener,
Part of my motivation was the fact that the city is picking up the bagged leaves this week-end, so I spent some time working in my stamp sized garden. It felt so good after all the food on Thursday.
Though it was cold, the air felt incredibly clean, which as you know, doesn't happen too often here in New York City.