Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Ugly Stucco Peeling Away At Hannah Senesh

oo






Though the renovation at the Hannah Senesh School building on Smith Street was completed only a few months ago, it is already showing some wear. The paper thin layer of stucco which was used to hide the original brick is starting to bubble up and peel away in quite a few places on the exterior walls. In addition, some of the tiles on the First Place side have been reworked as evidenced by the plastic tarp protecting them. Truthfully, I would not at all be sad to see the day-glow orange layer fall off the walls, but it is still a pity that the job was obviously not done right the first time. I am sure the renovation cost the school quite a pretty penny. Even if the work is still under warranty, imagine what will happen once construction next door at 360 Smith starts in earnest? Peeling stucco may be the least of their problem.

Related Reading:


Hannah Senesh School: Big "Bangs" For Their Money

For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally think, that a good education can be gained anywhere, and the way the building looks does not truly matter.
You do not judge all of your friends on the way they look, so you should not do the same with a school.
my community worked hard together to have a building standing like this one. Maybe you should learn more about something than waste your time criticizing our building.
Thank you,
Lauren, 15

Kelly said...

Hi Lauren,
Thanks for writing in and for letting me know how you feel. I love to hear from my readers even when they don't agree with me.
You are absolutely right! Learning can take place anywhere. You are lucky to be part of a wonderful school.
The outside of the building is in no way a reflection on the school community.
It is just my personal opinion that the orange stucco used on the façade is just a wee bit loud and inappropriate in a Brownstone neighborhood.
But like I said, that is just my opinion.