Monday, March 10, 2008

Yes, Folks, There Once Was A Kentucky Fried Chicken In Carroll Gardens

oo



On Friday, I reported that Massey Knakal is listing the retail space at
408-412 Court Street on the corner of First Place. As long as I have lived in Carroll Gardens, there have been a laundromat and a pretty funky soda fountain in the corner building. I asked if anyone in Carroll Gardens could let me know what kind of business was at that location in the past. Thanks to a nice reader, who left the comment below, I can tell you that the "Magic Fountain" was once a Dairy Queen and before that, a Kentucky Fried Chicken. Can you believe it? Here is the reader's comment:


I grew up in CG (I am 54 yrs old), and as far back as I can remember, the corner space was always a laundromat. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone out there in the same age group :) There used to be a Dairy Queen next door (of which I was a frequent young customer!), and prior to that, it was a Kentucky Fried Chicken for a short period of time. I think most people will agree we certainly don't need another bank or restaurant. All of CG's vital everyday services are disappearing at an alarming rate.
The Kentucky Fried Chicken was short-lived. I don't remember exactly how young I was, maybe 10 or 11, but I do remember its being a real novelty...a fast food place in an Italian neighborhood?!?! Blasphemy!!! Anyway, my father thought it was fun and bought us a "bucket" of fried chicken and all the fixings for dinner one night. It was, indeed, fun, but we never bought it again...LOL. We'll stick to home-cooked Italian meals, thank you!


Thanks for the info. I just love to find out more about the neighborhood. Hope you do too.




Technorati: blogs commenting on this post

For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm.. the KFC is before my time. I LOVE the magic fountain..I loved it! The only place to get a real milkshake besides donut house. I guess the new buyers will take that milkshake and "drink it up." For those who don't watch films, that's from There Will Be Blood, a movie.

Anonymous said...

No! No! Kentucky Fried Chicken? There was a Drug Store . Yes, a Drug
Store as far back that I can remember 1940's. I went there to pick up my
grandparents medication.
PS..what is the story with the property at Douglas and Smith Street?
You can't even walk on the subway gratings that are falling apart.

Anonymous said...

some of us old timers in carroll gardens were recently talking about the uses of the retail property on the corner of first place and court over the years

i do remember a pharmacy on that corner many, many years ago---the name was, massey, although i cannot be totally sure of the spelling---i do not remember if the pharmacy took up both the current laundromat and the ice cream store' s space, but it was definitely there--i was very little and they had a huge colored glass vase in the window with an undulating oil and water mixture that fascinated me--i wonder what it would look like to me now if there were any photos of that pharmacy out there

at some point, before the present ice cream store, there was most definitely a dairy queen in that spot, with mr mistys' that froze your brain and ice cream cones dipped in warm chocolate that hardened into a shell right in front of your eyes-- before that, i do remember that storefront being vacant for a while because my mom and her friend were contemplating opening a coffee shop there---but i cannot for the life of me remember a kentucky fried chicken place in that location (or any other in carroll gardens) at any time at all--nor can i remember what else may have been there