Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Farewell Message From Shakespeare's Sister On Court: Buy Locally

oo
After more than 14 years, Shakespeare's Sister at 270 Court Street, one of the first cool neighborhood stores, closed its doors forever. The place will be missed. I could always be sure to find an appropriate gift amongst the store's unique jewelery, paper goods, Putomayo music C.D.s and cool beauty products.
I remember when Shakespeare opened long ago. The owners had put so much effort into renovating the old storefront, exposing the original stained glass above the door and cleaning the copper trim around the windows. It was a charming place, respectful of the neighborhood. It was a little gem and I am sorry to see it go.
Posted onto the door of the now empty storefront, a message from the owners is taped to the door. "Just a reminder to all of us that we shouldn't take our local stores for granted. The sign reads:
Remember why you moved to this neighborhood in the first place:
Support your local stores.
"
For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

3 comments:

BestViewInBrooklyn said...

Shakespeare's Sister was truly a gem. It changed quite a bit while I lived nearby (1994-2001), but it always had lovely selections of gifts and cakes.

Did they still have the cafe in the back in recent years or did Sweet Melissa hone in on that?

Kelly said...

Hi Best View!
You know, I was wondering the same thing. I have to admit that I mostly just checked out the store part in the front. But years ago, I used to stop in for a coffee after catching a movie at Cobble Hill Cinemas

Anonymous said...

I have bought several upholstery-material backpacks at Shakespeare's Sister over the past few years -- for myself, friends, etc. -- I believe the name of the woman who made them is Rachel. Does anyone know whether she is selling through another store now?