Monday, June 16, 2008

To Battle Brooklyn Mosquitoes, Provide Bat Condos!

oo






Pardon me for asking, dear reader, but doesn't it seem that there are more mosquitoes swarming around than ever before? Every time I have gone out lately, I have been attacked by swarms of those blood-sucking insects. The problem does not seem to be confined to dusk anymore, when mosquitoes usually come out to feast. The other day, I was in the garden in broad sunlight. Would you agree that the problem has become worse every summer?
I know what you will ask me now, and the answer is: no. There is no standing water in my yard. Just little creatures buzzing 'bout my ankles.
So, I was pretty excited to see that someone in the neighborhood had installed a 'bat house' in their garden. Why? Well, bats eat lots of insects, including mosquitoes. Neat! I am all for it.
The wooden 'condo' just went up, so I have not yet seen it being used by bats. If I do, I'll be sure to let you know. The bat homes are available for $45 at the Organization For Bat Conservation. That seems a lot cheaper than bug spray. Don't you think?


From the Organization For Bat Conservation

Bats are extremely important. Yet due to years of unwarranted human fear and persecution, bats are in alarming decline. By putting up a bat house you are helping by giving them a home. You will also benefit from having fewer yard and garden pests, and will enjoy learning about bats and sharing your knowledge with friends and family.

As the primary predators of night-flying insects, bats play a vital role in maintaining the balance of nature. And, as consumers of vast numbers of pests, they rank among humanity’s most valuable allies. A single little brown bat can catch hundreds of mosquito-sized insects an hour, and a typical colony of big brown bats can protect local farmers from the costly attacks of 18 million root-worms each summer.

Bats are not blind, and are actually very clean animals. They do not get caught in peoples’ hair or chew through the attic of your house. Bats will not interfere with feeding backyard birds, and they will not be disrupted by pets or children.


Throughout the northern two-thirds of the U.S. and Canada, the Little Brown Bat (Myotis launchings) and the Big Brown Bat (Eptesicus fuscus) use bat houses. They can also inhabit the Southeast, but are generally replaced by the South-eastern Bat (Myotis Australia). Pallid Bats (Antrozous pallidus) are found in arid areas. The Evening Bat (Nycticeius humeralis), Eastern Pipistrelle (Pipistrellus subflavus), Yuma myotis (Myotis yumanensis) and the Mexican Free-tailed Bat (Tadarida brasiliensis) will also use bat houses. Any bats that roost in crevices or under bridges and in buildings are likely tenants for bat houses.

Links To this Post:
New York Times: Same Bat Time, Same Bat Condo



For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

7 comments:

mlliu said...

Yes, it's a great idea. I'd looked into getting a bat house for my yard but the smallest bat house I could find was much bigger than what I wanted to buy as a renter.

I'm not sure if the mosquito problem is getting worse, but I don't spend much time in my yard because of the mosquitoes. You probably have tiger mosquitoes, like I do--they're an invasive species, more aggressive than most mosquitoes we're used to in the States. And unfortunately, they don't need a lot of water to breed in, so even if you don't have any standing water, they could still be breeding in your (or your neighbors') yard.

Kelly said...

Tiger Mosquitoes, hmmm, that would explain it. The little critters do have a striped abdomen.
They literally attack me when I go outside. So incredibly annoying and I do not like to put bug spray on myself. I guess I will have to wear long pants and long shirt sleeves if I want to go out from now on.

Anonymous said...

I put put a bat house next to a pond behind my house last year. I haven't seen evidence of bats yet (should be droppings to be seen). I have heard it may be a good idea to have 2 bat houses. I am also wondering if anything can be used to attract them. Any advice about how to attract the bats to the house will be appreciated.

Anonymous said...

The invasive Tigar Mosquito is actually a new thing to our part of the world. Thery came in empty tires on a shipment from Japan. And yes they do feast day & night. Bat houses are perhaps the only thing that can combat them, as they are strangely resistant to pesticides that NYC keeps lavishing on them. Please encourage everyone you know to install these bat houses early this spring!

Unknown said...

Bats are great at lowering the mosquito population. Unfortunately, my wife is afraid of bats so we are looking at one of those Mosquito Magnets. I like that they can protect my yard for an entire season.

Anonymous said...

hi, i live in fort greene and would like to know if you were successful in getting any bats to reside in the house? are there any bats in brooklyn? we would appreciate any news on this since you posted last in 2008.

Katia said...

Hi Anon,
Sadly, I never saw any bats flying around this particular bat house.
Just a few months ago, the house was sold and the new owner just took down the pole and the bat house.