Sunday, August 17, 2008

Puy-En-Velay: When This House Was Built In 1650...

oo




Truly old houses can be found everywhere here in France. It is not rare to find entire blocks that were constructed in the 1700's. On a visit to Le Puy-en-Velay last week, I stopped to take a picture of a house built in 1650. It was in amazing condition, lovingly restored and maintained.
It was not the only one on that stretch of the old town. There were some that were built in the 1500's. It just made me think of how terribly difficult it is to protect our historic homes in Brooklyn.
Here, people live alongside history and know the importance of protecting their heritage.
As I was standing there, admiring the house, I wondered what was going on in France in 1650. So I did some research and this is what I found. It is pretty neat.


*Louis XIV reigned in France
*The minuet became all the rage at the French court
*Cyrano de Bergerac died at 36
*Moliere became official court playwright
*The French beat Spanish at Battle of Dunes (Dunkirk)
*French Philosopher René Descartes died of pneumonia
*Cafés became popular in Europe
*Andromeda by Pierre Corneille opened at the Théâtre Royal de Bourbon, Paris;
*Nicomedes
by Corneille opened at the Théâtre du Marais, Paris.
*French courtesan Marion Delorme dies in poverty at her native Paris July 2 at age 36, having been forced by the government to leave the Place Royale, where her fashionable salon has attracted leading literary and political figures, many of whom became her lovers.

And back in New York in 1650 ?

New Amsterdam was incorporated




For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

1 comment:

Ferran Porta said...

I absolutely love the European history! As I visit different cities all over the continent, I always have the feeling that I am walking on history. Berlin is, needless to say, especially remarcable in this sense. But not only.

Regards!