Thursday, March 12, 2009

New Building At 311 Warren Street Didn't Look So Bad, Until.....

oo
Once Upon A Time at 311 Warren Street / 180 Smith Street

311 Warren today
Where once there was a sweet little garden with a lovely dogwood tree, there is now a new buildings.
I had high hopes for the new construction at 311 Warren Street, I really did. The brick clad building didn't seem too out of scale with the rest of Smith Street and I loved the number of windows facing Warren. With a cornice, it could have looked downright contextual.
And then it happened! More steal and cinder blocks were added for additional floors, which makes the building tower over its 'neighbors.'
Too bad. Without the extra height, it wouldn't have been half bad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Know whats great about this neighborhood? That everything DOESN'T look the same.

Katia, would you like all of the buildings on Smith Street to be the exact same height?

I live on a block with NO new buildings, and there are 2 story buildings, 3 story buildings, 4 story buildings and 5 story buildings. Makes for nice variety.

Anonymous said...

So far I think it looks fine. I like the juxtaposition of (fake) old and new. It looks much more thoughtfully executed than the disaster (the faux French/Georgian/Disney facade) in the middle of Warren that destroyed a nice community garden.

Kelly said...

"Faux French/Georgian/ Disney Facade"

I am chuckling. I know exactly what you mean. That is the best description for those houses.