Monday, June 08, 2009

A Perfect Ceremony To Remember A True Carroll Gardener, Frank Verderame

oo

A photo of Frank in the Transit Garden


The Verderame Family

John Verderame talking about his brother Frank

Mr. and Mrs. Verderame with friends Tony and Dolores DeBella



Many Carroll Gardens residents came to the Transit Garden at the corner of Smith Street and Second Place on Saturday morning to honor friend and co-founder Frank Verderame, who passed away unexpectedly last December.
Frank meant so much to so many people in the neighborhood and it was wonderful to be able to spend some time together in this little garden oasis to remember him.
Frank's family joined friends and neighbors to celebrate his life and his sons helped plant a tree in their father's memory.
It could not have been a more perfect day nor a more perfect ceremony.
I think Frank would have approved.


Below is the wonderful speech given by Jim Devor:

I've been asked to say a few words on this occasion, in my capacity as the semi-official Transit Garden eulogist. I first knew Frank as the man who sold me my house. Thus, in a very real sense, were it not for him, I and my family would not be here today.

That, of course, should hardly define the man. Accordingly, like we all do on occasions like this, I dwelled on the question, “What quality of Frank's most stuck out about him”? Initially, the word “irascible” came to mind. For Frank was not a man who suffered fools gladly. But on further reflection, a more generous and accurate term dawned on me, “service

Frank spent most of his professional life in the service of his community. For example, as an Assemblyman in the early 1970's and then as a City Hall official, Frank labored hard to insure that government would be responsive to the needs of the people.

Later, during the time that I knew him, I saw him diligently focus on the problems of our immediate neighborhood. Hence, he was a constant presence at our local neighborhood association meetings frequently acting as a liaison between municipal agencies and the community.

From the perspective of this gathering, though, Frank's greatest contribution was the creation of this garden. From the outset and over a period of years, he was instrumental in bringing the Transit Authority to the table and hammering out the details necessary for the Garden to happen at all. He was the one who, without charge nor any grandstanding, went over the picayune issues which resulted in our master lease that begot this oasis.

Likewise, mostly behind the scenes, Frank dealt with the landscape architect and contractors in the implementation of the community's vision in the Garden's actual physical creation.

One of this community's great virtues is that tradition of service. The idea that what happens to this neighborhood matters on a scale divorced from any calculus of personal profit and loss. It is a tradition that long predated the arrival of the “newcomers” in attendance today and one that Frank Verderame personified.

Frank Verderame was as “old school” as you can get. But in an important sense it was because of that quality, rather than in spite of it, that we are gathered here today to celebrate his life. One hopes that his example of service will still inspire all of us in our proud and ongoing commitment to this site as well as in our work to insure that the entire Carroll Gardens community will continue to flourish. Thank you.


For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

1 comment:

Plow to Plate said...

Thank you for your beautiful coverage of the ceremony. Katia. I wish I could have been there. I liked seeing the pictures of Frank's family and reading Jim Devor's tribute. I had to chuckle when I read that Jim Devor said that Frank did not suffer fools gladly. I always did feel I had to be on my toes and as smart as I could be around him, and tried my best!