Monday, August 31, 2009

Brooklyn Rooftop Crop: The Giant Zucchini Of Baltic Street

oo

031

032

033

041

035

036



Between clothing that was hung out in the sunshine and the rusted air conditioning ducts and fan, a bumper crop of zucchini is growing on a small rooftop on Baltic Street, right off Smith Street.
And my, how huge they are. As I stood there, looking up and taking photos, a small crowd gathered to see what I was taking pictures of.
" Wow, do you see that?" said someone. " Those are the biggest zucchini I've ever seen."
Everyone was mighty impressed that such squash could be grown on a rooftop in Brooklyn.
" I walk by here every day" said another, " but I never bothered to look up. I had no idea those things were growing up there."

Well, I would probably have missed it myself, had it not been for reader JLWS, who told me to check them out. Thanks JLWS!








For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

3 comments:

ChickenUnderwear said...

Till this moment I thought Zucchinis grew on the ground. Really

Anonymous said...

Zucchini bread! Muffins, too! Ratatouille if you have a neighbor with some tomatoes and eggplant. Or donate to a food pantry or food kitchen.

Anonymous said...

not sure but i think these might be loofah sponges and not zucchinis...

Sm