Monday, August 31, 2009

Brooklyn Rooftop Crop: The Giant Zucchini Of Baltic Street







Between clothing that was hung out in the sunshine and the rusted air conditioning ducts and fan, a bumper crop of zucchini is growing on a small rooftop on Baltic Street, right off Smith Street.
And my, how huge they are. As I stood there, looking up and taking photos, a small crowd gathered to see what I was taking pictures of.
" Wow, do you see that?" said someone. " Those are the biggest zucchini I've ever seen."
Everyone was mighty impressed that such squash could be grown on a rooftop in Brooklyn.
" I walk by here every day" said another, " but I never bothered to look up. I had no idea those things were growing up there."

Well, I would probably have missed it myself, had it not been for reader JLWS, who told me to check them out. Thanks JLWS!

For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking


ChickenUnderwear said...

Till this moment I thought Zucchinis grew on the ground. Really

Anonymous said...

Zucchini bread! Muffins, too! Ratatouille if you have a neighbor with some tomatoes and eggplant. Or donate to a food pantry or food kitchen.

Anonymous said...

not sure but i think these might be loofah sponges and not zucchinis...