Wednesday, September 23, 2009

3rd Place Opossum Caught On Camera!

oo
Photo Credit: Sara B.

Last week, PMFA reader Jess reported on an opossum in his backyard on 4th Place between Clinton and Henry Street. I posted his email to me and asked if anyone else had seen it.
Someone reported spotting an opossum on Huntington Street. There was also a report of one crossing the Carroll Street Bridge.
Just today, Sara B., another reader, sent me this message along with a photo. She writes:
Last night, while coming home to my Carroll Gardens apartment at Henry and 2nd Pl., my friends and I spotted an opossum running towards us from 3rd pl. Was it the same opossum that has been spotted by other neighborhood residents? This one's coat appeared lighter in color than the opossum pictured April 13 , but since it was dark it was hard to tell.
I was able to nab a quick photo of the little critter, which I've attached.
I just hope our little neighbor doesn't get hit by a car!   I must say, the little fellow is pretty cute. But I agree with Sara. Lets hope that he stays out of harm's way.

Thanks for the photo, Sara.
And to everyone else, please keep on sending in your sightings.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

this little opossum is making the neighborhood rounds -- i just saw it on 1st place (b/t henry and clinton), sitting on someone's front stoop!

ChickenUnderwear said...

This past spring I might have seen one if its friends up on Union and 8th Ave.

http://whatyourdonotknowbecauseyouarenotme.blogspot.com/2009/03/breaking-news-possum-in-park-slope.html

Kelly said...

Hi Chicken Underwear,
Cute photos. For some reason I always thought that these guys are nocturnal. I guess I was wrong.

Matthew said...

Some info on these critters from possum fanciers found here

Anonymous said...

That looks like a rat.

Data Entry Services said...

Sorry Katia - lot's of opposum in my neighborhood in rural Georgia. I don't find them cute! And they will bite you.