Friday, June 04, 2010

Report Of Assault On Young Woman On 2nd Place Near Clinton Street

oo
IMG_4503


You may have seen the fliers posted along the neighborhood warning of an attempted rape on 2nd Place near Clinton Street. According to the flier, the incidence occurred at approximately 3:30 Am on Sunday, May 30th. The victim, a young woman was assaulted by a 5.5 - 5.7 man in his early 20's, who had first been spotted walking from Clinton and 3rd Place.

The flier also mentions that this may have been a second incident involving the same man.

I emailed the 76th Precinct to get the facts and received the following report by Captain Ken Corey. Below is his reply:


Thanks for reaching out on this. The incident was reported as an
assault. The victim was walking her dog at around 2:30 am when the
perpetrator approached, he pushed her to the ground and grabbed at her
shirt. She screamed and he fled. The incident is under investigation
by our Detective Squad, and anyone with information is asked to call
Det. Jurewicz at 718-834-3221.

The poster makes mention of a second incident involving the same
perpetrator. We have no other incidents reported that are even
remotely similar, or have anyone with a similar description. I don't
know where that information came from, but if it is factual, we'd like
to know about it.

Ken Corey

I would like to thank the captain for taking the time to get back to me.
Please, everyone, be careful. Though this is a very safe neighborhood, we need to be aware that incidents do occur. It may be more prudent for people to pair up when walking a dog in the early morning hours.




Home Page

ShareThis

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for sharing the news, Katia. That's scary news for all women in the neighborhood. I live on that block and will be extra careful, especially when walking the short distance home from the subway late at night.

Jeanette said...

Yes, thanks for sharing Katia. I live close by and will be extra careful. You are right, this is a very safe neighborhood, but bad things can happen anywhere. Buddy system is a very good idea, especially in the wee hours when there are few people out.

Laura L. said...

Hi Katia,

I was assaulted - what seemed to be a very physical mugging at first, but then turned sexual - on Clinton and 3rd place about 2 years ago. The description of the attacker's appearance does not match, but the rest seems very similar. I was saved by a couple walking their dogs who I screamed to. I did report it to the police at the station that night, and had an investigator come to my home to ask many more questions when another woman was assaulted in a similar manor a few weeks later, but I could never make a positive ID from the mug shots they showed me. I also remember seeing a flyer at Gourmet Fresh soon after it opened (a year ago? I forget now) with a similar story. That may or may not make 5 total incidents in nearly the same area over the last 2 years. I really hope that this guy or any other guy preying on women in the neighborhood is caught and brought to justice before any one else gets hurt. My sympathy to the victim of this latest crime.

Kelly said...

Hi Laura,
I am so sorry that you had to go through this. That sounds so, so frightening and everyone woman's nightmare.

Thank you for writing to share the details of your assault and for letting others know that these crimes happen right here in the neighborhood.

Yes, Carroll Gardens is one of the safest neighborhoods in the entire city, but, as women, we need to be aware at all times.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being so brave and sharing your story. Am so very sorry. When this most recent report was posted I thought of the poster at Fresh Gourmet too. I live near the place you were assaulted, and will be even more vigilant.

Anonymous said...

I just read this post now. The report was improperly filed by the 76th Precinct, the offender went up her skirt- not her shirt. This was an attempted rape now being investigated by the special victims squad. Perhaps you can get a more up to date statement by the police?

Thank you for posting this.