Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Space Occupied By Indi(a) House For Rent, But Restaurant Owner Not Worried

oo
Smith Hanten real estate listing




I was a bit confused when I passed Smith Hanten's real estate office on Smith Street. There,
in the window, was a listing for 139 Court Street, the storefront currently occupied by India House ( the letter A fell off long ago.) In red lettering, the advertisement read: Available now. $ 7,000.
How could that be? I wasn't aware of the place having closed, so I made sure to check it out on my way down Court.

Sure enough, the restaurant was still there, though a 'for rent' sign was screwed to its façade.
I popped my head in to speak to the manager and asked if the place was closing. He seemed surprised. I explained that I had seen the place advertised in a real estate office.

" Ah," he looked bemused " the owner of the building has tried to rent it out for a long time. I don't have a lease anymore. He wants too much money."

I told him that in today's market, the landlord may have a tough time finding a new tenant. I suggested that maybe, for now, the restaurant was safe.

" I know" he said, " I am not worried. It's too much money."

We'll see. India House has been at that location for a very, very long time.



For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

No comments: