Friday, April 24, 2009

Blogger Breakfast With BP Markowitz And Staff

oo






Yesterday morning, bright and early at 8:15 Am, Borough President Marty Markowitz and his staff sat down with a group of Brooklyn bloggers.

By his own admission, our BP has not quite gotten passed the email stage, but is quick to add that his wife is an avid blog reader. He seems to be interested in learning more about it and in reaching out to Brooklyn bloggers who write about local politics, developments and local issues. It is also clear that he is just a bit irritated by the new medium.

Over coffee and bagels, a very interesting conversation ensued about the differences between traditional reporting and blogging and whether bloggers are journalists and therefore should be held to the same journalistic standards. Also under discussion was the question of accountability: Do bloggers have a responsibility to check facts before publishing a post?

All valid points, as far as I am concerned.

However, they are rather difficult to answer generally since all blogs are uniquely different.
Personally, I explained, I never claim to be a journalist. I think I am always making it rather clear that the opinions expressed are mine. Blogging gives me a way of engaging in a dialogue with my readers and neighbors by asking questions related to issues in Carroll Gardens. Hence the name of my blog.

Kudos to Markowitz and his aids for reaching out and opening the dialogue. They made sure to let bloggers know that the office will gladly extend access to the borough president's press office for statements and information.

Of course, I immediately took advantage of the offer by asking for Markowitz's official statement on the Gowanus Canal's nomination as a Superfund site by the EPA.
I hope to receive it later today and to be able to post it here.

Thanks for the invite, Mr. Markowitz.



Bloggers In Attendance:
Flatbush Gardener
Only the Blog Knows Brooklyn
Ditmas Park Blog
Brooklyn Heights Blog,
GerritsenBeach.net
Brownstoner
Atlantic Yards Report
Noticing New York
The Local



For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

1 comment:

BestViewInBrooklyn said...

How are they extending access? I've written to him through the website several times, but never received a reply. There are several things about Sunset Park about which I'd like to know his reactions.