Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Not Much Progress At The 'Looming Tower' Of Carroll Gardens

oo








*Construction at the Clarett site at 340 Court Street has been stopped
*Developer Bill Stein of 360 Smith Street has not resumed his Oliver House though the Board Of Standards And Appeals exempted his project from the Wide Street Text Amendment
*The Toll Brothers are "threatening" to walk away from their Gowanus Canal project should the EPA declare the canal a Superfund site

but...

the Karl Fisher-designed 'finger' at 100 Luquer Street rose to 11 stories on the fringes of the neighborhood.
And what an eyesore it is. The building towers over the neighboring townhouses like a bad joke.
Construction has been going on for quite a while. Though a few sides of the building look mostly completed, the back is still wide open. Frankly, it doesn't look as though there has been much progress since I last wrote about it back in December '08.

If this isn't a poster child for down-zoning and land-marking, I don't know what is!



For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

3 comments:

Winden42 said...

Agreed. There is no excuse for a building like that in this area. Judging by the lack of activity, I think that the recession is having an impact on their plans. I can't think of a more deserving developer.

Anonymous said...

Really? It's on the BQE... who cares?
I mean, if the BQE were on my doorstep, I'd want to be several stories up. But I certainly wouldn't need a balcony for the "view".

Anonymous said...

it's funny .. my house faces 'the ass' of this building as all of the balconies and windows are on the bqe side and the back is just plain concrete facing court/clinton street. ugh.