Monday, May 11, 2009

Number 217 Court Street A Sad Sight

oo

217 Court Street

Back of 217 obviously gone


Cracks in the front façade


Its neighbor at 219 Court Street

Also has been vacated


I was so busy last week that I did not get a chance to take my usual walk down to Brooklyn Heights via Court Street. So when I heard that number 217 Court Street partially collapsed as a result of days and days of rain, I did not get a chance to take photos.

On Sunday, I finally made it down there and took these. The back of the building is all but gone, judging by the view of blue sky and trees through one of the front windows. There are also some rather nasty cracks in the front façade, though they may have been there already.


The building was certainly not one of the nicest in our brownstone neighborhood, but I shudder to think what will be built in its place once it is torn down. That side of Court Street in Boerum Hill is not landmarked or down-zoned.

Number 219 , a much cuter brick building has a 'Vacate" sign on its door. I sure hope that structure has not suffered too much structural damage. That would be a real pity.

For some history of 217 Court, check out Lost City


For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

No comments: