Thursday, April 22, 2010

Don't Know What You Missed: Born And Raised In Carroll Gardens

oo

IMG_3803

IMG_3801


One of my favorite things about writing this blog is to hear from people who grew up in Carroll Gardens, but moved away. The love and attachment that they still feel for the neighborhood is wonderful and very touching. It doesn't seem to matter if they moved away 10 years or 40 years ago, they remember every detail of their lives here.

Below is an email I received from former Carroll Gardener Joey Vento. He writes:


Born and raised at 260 Carroll Street!! The best childhood ever...St.Agnes...scary Halloweens...the Beatles..the Italian Barber...Carroll Park school..The World's Fair..Joe's Supprette...Queen Pizza...The I.L.A....Christmas...and grandma's house at Hoyt and Carroll. Kids today just don't know what they missed huh!!! Your blog is very wonderful and is perfect for someone missing all that was Carroll Gardens. We go back when we can and I'm glad that the cracks in the sidewalk outside 260 Carroll Street are still there!!!
All the best, Joey

Sounds wonderful indeed, Joey! Please share more of your memories.
And, please, to those lucky enough to have been born right in the neighborhood, we would love to hear more about the way it was, so write in.


And to read more Carroll Gardens memories, click and scroll down here: Pardon Me For Asking: A Carroll Gardens Life . Enjoy!



For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking



Share

4 comments:

Maryann B. said...

I can add the following to Joey's memories: The "ORIGINAL" wading pool in Carroll Park which was fenced in and truly a shallow pool, as well as the monkey bars and see-saws. The "Cubby Cone" ice cream truck with Aloysius, our favorite ice cream man on President Street. PS 58 "Maypole" celebration in the school yard. The Beach Boys on WMCA AM top 40 radio, the home of the "Good Guys." Gloria Pizzeria on Court/Carroll with the best wood-burning oven turning out the best Pizza Margherita in Brooklyn...and the juke box playing while you waited. Helen's Candy Store on Smith (next door to Bagels on the Park); Helen made the best egg creams ever. Penny candy and pretzel sticks at Mrs. Pizarro's candy store on Smith opposite Carroll Park...

Anonymous said...

Katia, I posted before in "How Long Does One Have to Live in Carroll Gardens...” (Anonymous - ...P.S. 32) and you asked for more memories. Time constraints and brain numbness happens, but hows about I add on as I remember? I remember special trips downtown to go to McCrory's, Mister Softee Ice Cream (no matter WHAT we were doing, us kids would hear Softee's jungle and run to our building and yell for our "Ma's" and they would throw down money for us), the WONDERFUL jingles of WNEW radio - to which I would sing with such passion(AM??). Anyone remember "Broadway in the Streets". I couldn't tell you if they were real Broadway stars, but as a kid - who cared - LOVED IT! Subway was 35 cents. On the Radio groups like Friends of Distinction, 5th Dimension, Steppenwolf, Rascals. My Mom taking me to see Dr. Dolittle (original). Ahhh, sweet memories. GOD is good! That's all the brain can tell for now.

Kelly said...

Maryann B and Anonymous,
Thanks so much for sharing. I love this stuff and I know others do, too.

If the brain allows, maybe you can add more?

Maryann B. said...

Yes, I can add some more (and I should add that I didn't move away, I still live here). Going to the movies at the Loew's Metropolitan on Fulton/Smith Streets (The Nutty Professor/Jerry Lewis edition; Where Angels Go Trouble Follows; The Sound of Music; and many more). Learning on a hot summer night that Marilyn Monroe had died. All students of St. Agnes grammar school lining up outside St. Agnes Church for 9:00 am Mass on Sundays, rain or shine. Being dismissed early from 2nd Grade classes from St. Agnes School because of Hurricane Donna in 1960. Being quickly dismissed from class at St. Agnes on Nov 22 1963 and wondering why everyone was crying. Eden's Drugstore on Smith/Carroll St (where the art gallery is now). My Mom taking me to Caputo's Bakery to buy the day's bread and the saleslady always gave me a free breadstick (I was really little). Going to E.J. Korvette's record department, the best one on Fulton St, with my Dad to buy the very first LP record album of my own (remember those?) by the Supremes. I can probably come up with more, but it's getting late :)