Thursday, February 26, 2015

Change Of Management And New Concept For People's Republic Of Brooklyn On Smith Street

oo
IMG_3092
IMG_3091
IMG_3086
IMG_3090
IMG_3085
IMG_3087
IMG_3088
A few days ago, I received the following email from neighborhood resident Ben U. :
"People's Republic Of Brooklyn on Smith St has closed and re-opened with a new name, management, concept and slight renovation. Most people probably wouldn't view this is a huge loss to the neighborhood, but it was one of very few chill, unpretentious spots to get a beer on Smith St. for the past few years. It also had a very multi-cultural clientele, which I dug -- a good cross-section of Brooklyn. Most importantly, they had world-class chicken wings, with homemade sauces by the chef, a self-described wing enthusiast. It will be missed. The soft opening of the new place happened last night. I couldn't tell you what's on the menu because I was too bummed -- just had a beer and left."
I stopped by People's Republic at 247 Smith Street two days ago. Though the name still seems to be the same, a quick look inside confirmed that the bar has gotten a facelift.

Have you been there recently? What do you think of the new concept or did you prefer it better before?



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

8 bucks for pancakes? Negronis? Seems this place has gone all bridge & tunnel.

Duckwalk said...

I remember this place when it was Village 247. I really liked it then. Tried PRB a couple times and always thought there were better options but did buy their $5 fish and chips a few times. I wish them well with the new concept/menu.

Trumbull Bully said...

Bully here...

Looks like they rearranged the deck chairs, if you know what I mean...

I used to frequent this place when I first moved to the 'hood (before mini-Bully arrived). I think the problem is this bar doesn't fit into any category. It's not a beer-lover's haven, it's not a sports bar, it doesn't have happy hour specials (to my knowledge). I kind of ended up hating it. Their health grade was also consistently a "B," which may have turned people off. If they wanted to do a re-launch, I don't think this is it.

Jack Ravio said...

Their draft beer always had a funky taste....needs a better name too.

Rob said...

They had one of the best unlimited drinks brunch deals on Smith. I'll be sad to see that go.