Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"Price Fixing": Revisited

oo
Caffè Carciofo's enticing "PRE-FIX" Sign


Though I have never run the same post twice, there is always a first. So here we go! Back in February, I wrote a little rant about the misspelling of Prix-fixe on restaurant menus and the inadvertent (other) meaning that such a mistake calls forth. Yesterday, I spied this little sign in Carciofo's window. So, pardon me, but I just have to post this again:

If you are going to give your restaurant this certain French " je ne sais quoi," better have a Frenchman check the spelling. I have been laughing out loud while walking down Brooklyn's commercial strips such as Smith Street and Court Street. Restaurants are competing for my business with large blackboards with their prix fixe menus.
Usually, a prix fixe in french means a fixed price charged for a meal. I don’t know what my neighborhood restaurants are trying to advertise. I have seen such variances as pre-fix, pre-fixe, prix-fixed or even pre-fixé.
"Pre-Fix" to me means either that the price shown is the one before it was fixed or that all the restaurateurs got together and fixed their menu prices. In other words: price gouging. Are they advertising that they are trying to cheat us?
Ah! The subtleties of language!
Do you have any good pictures of your price fixed restaurant menus?

Dictionary Definition:
prix fixe (prē' fēks')
n., pl. prix fixes (prē' fēks').
A complete meal of several courses, sometimes with choices permitted, offered by a restaurant at a fixed price.









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can make fun of the spelling, but the prix fixe specials on Court and Smith are one of the best perks you get around here for being local. Three courses for 20-25 bucks on weekdays; weekend visitors have to pay WAY more on their "cute neighborhood" excursions.

Kelly said...

Ah, finally a perk for locals! You are right. The deals are great and I am happy that the restaurants are introducing them. Now if they could only get the spelling right!

Suzanne Johnson said...

Even after having studied French for over 12 years and spending a summer in France, I was beginning to doubt my own knowledge of the correct spelling. A fine dining restaurant in Camarillo, California had a poster up a while back advertising a "pre fixe" special. I told them it was mispelled. Well, I was just on their website checking for a Valentine's Day special and they are again offering a "pre fixe" special for 2/14/14. http://www.safirebistro.com/upcoming-events/