Friday, September 28, 2007

Blue October Concert At The Nokia, New York

oo



(Pictures taken last night at the concert)


(Concert clip from You Tube from another concert)




Moody Teen and I don't always see eye to eye on things. However, strangely enough, my son has a pretty eclectic compilation on his mp3 player. If I discount the occasional techno that creeps up once in a while and his newfound interest in country music, I could even say that we share the same taste in music. And I consider it a rare honor when he puts on something for me to listen to. So when he put on "The Answer" by Blue October, the Texas band fronted by the charismatic Justin Furstenfeld, I melted. Haunting lyrics, the most beautiful violin solo, it was a song that stuck in my head.
There were other songs, equally dark and disturbing such as "Into The Ocean" and " Hate Me" songs far too morose for my son to listen to. But yet, I understood his draw to Furstenfeld's voice. It transmitted the inner turmoil of a man who knows what it is like to sink deep into despair, someone who had gone too close to the edge. In essence, a man who still remembers what teen angst feels like. No wonder M. related.

So, in an incredibly inspired moment, if I may say so myself, I had an amazing idea. Get tickets to Blue October's show as a way to celebrate M's upcoming October birthday. And not tell him!
So last night, with the element of surprise firmly on our side, Mr. Pardon Me, College Daughter and I took him to the show at the Nokia Theatre at 44th and Broadway. And what a show it was.
May I just say that Furstenfeld may be one of the best performers I have ever seen? He is mesmerizing. He is the kind of performer who demands your attention and does not let go until he is done with you. His presence is menacing and vulnerable at the same time.
He is a man who sings as though his life depends on it. Dark, yes, but so honest that it made me want to cry at times.
And just when you thought you can not take your eye off him, you catch from the corner of your eyes, another performance. Off to the side, violinist, guitarist, pianist, vocalist
Ryan Delahoussaye's presence is equally transfixing. Switching constantly from one instrument to the other, Delahoussaye's notes add a softer, more human aspect to the songs. Truly. He is an amazing musician, a joy to watch.
Have I gushed enough about the group? You can tell that I enjoyed the concert. And Moody Teen, you ask? I think it was an evening he will never forget. And I hope that when he thinks back on this experience many years from now, he will remember that I was standing right beside him, cheering both him and Furstenberg.

Links:
Official Blue October Web Site

2 comments:

Mu1holland said...

I can't agree with you more. Your family and I were sharing the same experience at that show. I brought my 61 yr old father who loves the band along with me...35 yrs old. Shows you the range of fans this band has. I can't wait to see how far they can go.

Kelly said...

Hi Mu1holland,

That's so funny. I thought I was one of the oldest persons there. It's great that your father came along too. he must be pretty cool. The night we were there, we saw an older biker couple there. They looked really cute They must have been about 65 too. he had a very long skinny pony tail and she was showing quite a bit of cleavage. I hope I still go to rock concerts at that age.