Friday, September 07, 2007

Flier Deluge

oo
Pardon me for asking, but what is up with all those packets of fliers that I have been getting every day? It seems as though I am spending unbelievable time just recycling the paper. What a waste, what a bother.
A while back, only one of these plastic bag deliveries would be made to our house. That was when Key Food and Met Food were the only chain stores around our lovely neighborhood. Now it seems that we are being peppered every day, sometimes even twice a day. Since most of the houses here in Carroll Gardens are three and even four family buildings, we all receive that many packets. And frankly, I don't even read them. Never even open them up. But with everyone of them, I have to take the paper out of the plastic and recycle it and then throw the plastic bags away. I HATE IT!
Just today, some guy walked up my street with a shopping cart and randomly threw the flier packets into the front yards. I startled him by rushing out of the house, waving my arms like a lunatic to indicate that I did not want them.
So who are some of the culprit companies advertising in such a wasteful way?
Included in this week's bundle of trash are fliers from the following super-chains:
Strauss Auto
Pep boy Auto
Walgreens
Duane Reade
CVS
Pathmark
Lowe's
Fairway

How about a boycott of these stores? Or simply writing to them and blasting them for being so environmentally incorrect. Or maybe take the adverts with me next time and hand them to the manager of the store. Hey, if we all did this, they would get the message.

5 comments:

Sophia said...

Jessica has been commenting non-stop about how un-environmentally friendly we Americans are. I'm happy to have grown up with your sister who knows better.

Katia said...

Yes, I am constantly amazed myself. The tons of useless waste that comes unwanted into my house in the form of junk mail and these flier packages is shameful.

Anonymous said...

I agree 100%. The least they can do is eliminate the plastic bags. This is an environmental disaster!! What a waste!

Anonymous said...

There should be a law prohibiting unsolicited things from being tossed on our properties. In essence, our yards and stoops are being littered. Isn't it against the law to throw garbage in private and public property? Where is Marty and the mayor?

Kelly said...

I remember reading something about a NYC Councilman introducing a bill to ban the distribution of fliers on private property, but now I can't find the info. Does anybody know anything about it?