Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Hunchback Of Carroll Gardens

oo



Much has been said about the beautiful corner brownstone that was f****cked up by some developer who thought that he could make a fortune attaching a hump to it. The building at 45 3rd Place has been divided into two duplexes each going for around $1.5 million.
I took a walk with my husband on Sunday afternoon and by "pure" coincidence, I had my camera with me. I saw this building getting uglified a few months ago and heard that it was now being marketed as two dulplexes . I guess I just needed to confirm to myself that someone actually did this to this lovely old house. Does anybody know if some poor soul fell for it yet?

To check out the real estate page for the duplexes, click here
And on A Brooklyn Life to read about a fellow blogger's comments on the open house

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As much as I agree that the extension off the back of the building is HIDEOUS, I would much rather have this happen then for the brownstones be torn down to make room for huge condo buildings with no character. You do know what's going to happen on the Carroll Street train station corner of Second Place, don't you?

Kelly said...

Oh, yes, of course and I have written about that at length. If you track back a few posts, you can read what I have to say about Developer Stein and Architect Scarano.
You have a point about this particular house. At least the façade is left intact.