Friday, November 16, 2007

Best Little Superette On Court Street

oo




You have heard me complain about the lack of good supermarkets here in Carroll Gardens. True, we have Met Food on Smith and a second Met on Henry, but from my house, those are just a wee bit too far when it rains and you just need that one item to complete dinner. Yes, there is the deli right next to my house, but they charge an arm and a leg for most stuff, so I only go there to get milk and the occasional late night pint of Haagen Daz.
I have however found an alternative recently; bigger than a delicatessen, smaller than a supermarket, this one is just right. I am speaking of the Good Food Store at 431 Court Street between 3rd and 4th Place which is owned by an Italian family. Amidst the stock items you would expect to find in such a store, there are some great specialty items. True to their Italian heritage, the owners make a lot of the fresh food at the deli counter themselves. The other day, I bought a fresh Mozzarella. I had to wait a few minutes for the owner to wrap the cheese up for me, because he had just finished making it. It felt warm in my hands as he handed it to me (and it tasted wonderfully at dinner time.)
The store's vegetable and fruit selection is small but everything seems to be carefully selected. Good Food also sells fresh meat. Try their Italian sausages. Now, I am a vegetarian, but my family is not and they really liked the ones I bought here. So take their word for it. Though Good Food will never replace a bigger grocery store, there is something very appealing about this store. You have to love a place that dedicates a disproportionate amount of shelf space to pasta. And it sure beats schlepping all the way to Met Food or even mounting an expedition to Path Mart.

3 comments:

John Niedermeyer said...

bigger than a delicatessen, smaller than a supermarket…

…and never open. But, I agree, it's good in a pinch.

Anonymous said...

and you should get a discount there - to say the least, free advertisement after all. Fresh mozzarellA, mmmh!

Cheers,
Tania

Kelly said...

Hello Tania,Sister!

Yes, a discount would be nice!
But hey, I am glad to give this little store a plug.
Most of all, I am just glad that there are still places around where I can buy locally and not have to take the car.
When are you coming to "beautiful" Brooklyn to taste the Mozzarella for yourself?