Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Brooklyn Fairway Brings The Taste Of France To Me

oo


Can Fairway cure homesickness? You bet!
If you have been reading this blog for a while, you know that I have a second life, much different from my Brooklyn one.
For a short time each summer, I leave everything behind and slip into my French life. ( if you want to read more click here)
Two things I truly miss when I am back here is French garlic and those very thin green beans I buy when I am there.
I found both at Fairway this week. Yes, at exorbitant prices, but hey, the garlic actually had TASTE as opposed to this Chinese crap that looks so perfect and uniform, it's scary.
And the beans were the real thing, so incredibly tender, I don't know how I can ever go back to buying those other ones.

In case you want to try to make them, here is how its done:
Blanche the French beans for just a few minutes in boiling water.
Drain beans.
Add a bit of butter and a little olive oil in a lidded pan. Place the beans in the butter and add 2-3 thinly sliced cloves of french garlic.
On very low flame, let the beans cook for a while until the beans become tender. Before serving, add salt to taste. Optional: add some fresh parsley. And if you want to make it really French, squeeze some fresh lemon juice on the beans.

I guarantee, you will be transported to la douce France instantly!




For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking
Digg!

No comments: