Thursday, November 29, 2007

Say, What Is That Building on Smith?

oo




Pardon me for asking, but what happens inside that two story building at the corner of Smith and Wykoff, across the street from Starbucks? Every time I walk past there, my imagination goes wild. I am hoping that one of you readers could enlighten me.
Once upon a time, I think there was a furniture rental place in this storefront, but I may be mistaken. A few years ago, the store closed and shortly thereafter, the building was hidden behind a plywood fence. When it was revealed after what seemed like an eternity, the storefront windows were cinder-blocked. Those on the Wykoff side had disappears as well. Now, the place is just ugly, a giant, mysterious box. I would love to know what actually goes on in this "thing." Does anyone out there know?


For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking


Digg!

7 comments:

Tim Dierks said...

That building is 166 Smith Street; searching "166 Smith" Brooklyn indicates that it's occupied by Railworks Corporation, "the leading provider of track and transit systems construction services throughout North America"; they do a lot of work for the MTA and at the Navy Yard.

Kelly said...

Hi Tim,
Well that solves the mystery. Thanks for the info.
Any idea why they are on Smith? After all, a business like that could be in a cheaper rental area. Smith Street rents are a bit steep these days.

The Vidiot said...

They also have very scary meter type things on the outside monitoring things like hydrogen and other gases. WTF? in a semi residential neighborhood no less.

WAAAAY back when, it was the video store that had to move just a few doors down because the owner beefed up the rent. Videorama I think it was called. The sign is still up over the closed store I think.

Katia said...

I am glad that I am not the only one who thinks this place is creepy. Yes, I saw the meters. Very suspicious.
I don't think that there is any substantial work going on along the F and the G lines to explain why this Railworks Corp.would need to be smack on one of the more expensive strips here in Brooklyn
Very odd to have to brick the place off like that. It lucks like a bunker.

Tim Dierks said...

I don't know if they're working on it, but the viaduct project is going to be huge. Why don't you call them and ask them what they're doing, ask for a tour? Their phone number is (718) 797-4895.

Katia said...

Oh, how exciting. Maybe I will do it and ask for a tour. But what if I disappear in that place, never to be seen again?
Please someone, come looking for me if there are no new posts on this blog in the next few days, ok?

Anonymous said...

Sure will do :)