Monday, December 03, 2007

Smith And 9th: 3,739 Subway Riders Without A Station

oo
This is an interesting observation by Barbara Brookhart, member of the Carroll Garden's Neighborhood Association regarding the upcoming lengthy closure of the Smith and 9th Street subway station. So far, the details of how the M.T.A. plans to handle the closing have not been publicized. Will it be a nightmare? Well, yes. Of that you can be sure.

Has the MTA given the elected officials or the community board any
figures as to what the ridership will be on the Carroll Subway Station platform when the MTA closes the 9th Street subway for repairs. According to the average weekly subway ridership by station published by the MTA, Smith Street has 3,739 weekday riders, and the Carroll Street station has 9,013 riders. I would like to know what percentage of the Smith Street ridership would use the Carroll Subway Station, as our platform is already overcrowded during the early morning commuter period.

Good point, Barbara! But I am sure we won't get an answer anytime soon.

Related reading:
Smith and 9th Subway StationTo Close for 12 Months

For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking


Digg!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about the details but I do know that right now they're hosting a competition for a bicycle loft and urban plan for the area which also takes into account ways to fund the project(which I'm proud to say I've joined and working is currently working on my entry!). If it becomes a realization, it would help make the area more bicycle-friendly, spur economic growth and hopefully give people a different traveling alternative. I know it's easier said than done, and believe me it's quite extensive (so far they have 18 countries participating). I believe this is just one of the many things they're working on so they're also taking into account different ways of "improving" the area.