Friday, April 11, 2008

Tough Kid Policy At KC Art Store On Court!

oo




I spied this sign in the window of a local Court Street art store and I have to admit, I had to look twice to make sure I had read correctly. Yup, no doubt:

Hours 2:00PM to 4:00PM
No children under the age of 18 allowed in
store unless accompanied by an adult.

It seems a bit harsh to me. However, it no doubt is due to the fact that KC Art is right across the street from Brooklyn School for Global Studies, a local public school.
Was there a big problem with kids coming in and hanging out in the store? Does anyone know?


[where: KC Art]

For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is not a harsh policy at all, and I really don't blame KC for posting it. The school across the street lets out that time, and the students can be rowdy & disruptive. I have seen police cars posted on Smith St in the afternoons just before dismissal to prevent any "trouble" as students made their way to the Bergen St subway station. Also, last November I witnessed a near brawl erupting in the middle of Court St one afternoon, stopping traffic, and one lone police officer in the middle of it apparently unable to bring those students under control. I hope he was able to summon support for himself. It was not a pretty picture. I don't think KC's policy is unwarranted. I would do the same and probably lock the door, as well.

Anonymous said...

Agreed. KC Arts is a small space and kids can create havoc unless supervised. I'm also sure that if a teenager stepped in there and asked politely if he/she could buy some art supplies for a class, nobody would mind. The policy is meant to dissuade packs of rowdy kids from breaking things or shoplifting en masse. Plus, it's not as if parents can't bring their kids in...

Anonymous said...

Also, the two ladies who own and run that store are real sweethearts, and have been small business owners on Court Street when the only restaurants were Italian or Chinese and Smith St was unwalkable after dark. They are good businesspeople and good neighbors. I love patronizing long-time participants in the neighborhood such as KC Arts.

Anonymous said...

Also, it is just great to have a place where children are simply not allowed at certain times.

Unknown said...

Kids steal Paint magic markers, I know I did, but never from KC.