Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A Very Neglected 'Carroll Garden'

oo








Of course I expected this! After a long absence, my Brooklyn garden needs attention. Lots of attention... What used to be orderly flora has transformed into unruly jungle. Weeds are everywhere, happily growing amongst the flowers and between slate and brick. I should, dear reader, be out there right now, bringing order back into this little plot of mine. But oh, those mosquitoes are just waiting for me to do just that. How have you been able to deal with them all summer?



For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Katia,
Welcome back! Your vacation photos were lovely.

Oh, the mosquito problem has been worse than I've ever seen it. Not once have we been able to BBQ or even sit outside in our backyard with a cup of coffee in the morning. My neighbors have been complaining, as well. The skeeters are out there all day long, and as soon as we venture out, the attack starts. It's been truly awful! As a result, my garden looks as weedy and overgrown as yours does because we can't go out there for more than 5 minutes at a time. I'll just have to cover myself up and spray my clothing with repellent before I go out there to work.

Unknown said...

Terrible summer for mosquitoes. Can't use the stoop, can't use the back yard, getting eaten just going out for the mail. If I could get my hands on DDT I'd use it. Other less illegal suggestions are welcome.

Kelly said...

I keep on hearing this from everybody.
They were swarming around me yesterday as I finally started hacking my way through the weeds.
They are these little tiger mosquitoes, black and white numbers that are fearless.
Did the city not spray this summer?

Anonymous said...

The city did not spray this summer, and there has been at least one death due to West Nile. I think people freak out at the notion of spraying...I'd rather hunker down in my house for a few hours while the city sprays than risk West Nile which is more often than not deadly.