Friday, September 12, 2008

An Odd Thing Happened At A Midtown Fruit Stand

oo


Midtown Manhattan


Granted, dear Reader, this happened in Manhattan and not in Brooklyn, but I need to tell you about the odd thing that happened at a fruit stand in mid-town Manhattan.
My daughter and I stopped in front of this lovely stand. While she selected some bananas, the vendor was sitting besides his cart sorting out rotten blueberries from the little plastic containers he was selling. That by itself was not strange, but he was actually wiping some mildew off the berries with a rather dirty rag. He handled each one individually before putting them back into the container.
Gross, no?

6 comments:

Ferran Porta said...

Sad (and dirty), for the stand looks so colorful and nice!

Salut :)

Kelly said...

Hi Ferran,
I agree, the fruit stand itself looked just beautiful. The vendor was actually pretty sweet, so I did not want to take his picture and get him into trouble. Just don't like the idea of mildew being wiped off blueberries one by one with a dirty rag.
What's new in Berlin?

Anonymous said...

They need more agents out checking these guys. Call the Health dept. on these guys if you suspect anything funny.

Anonymous said...

They should wipe the mold off in private

Ferran Porta said...

I'm actually still in Barcelona, and plan to fly back to Berlin at the end of the month. Miss that city, already! (just like you're probaly missing La France, aren't you? :-)

Greetings.

Kelly said...

I can not tell you how much I miss it.
Though I love Brooklyn and New York City as a whole, after being back three weeks, I am already totally stressed out.
But of course a lot has to do with the difference between being on vacation and having to resume regular life.
Are you in Barcelona on assignment or for pleasure?
Loved your photos of Sagrada Família. One of these days, I need to visit. Have been to Spain a few times, but never managed to get to Barcelona