Sunday, March 22, 2009

When Mrs. Pizzaro Had An Ice Cream Parlor At 327 Smith Street.

oo






Today, 327 Smith Street between President and Carroll Streets is the home of "Elegant Nails," but long ago, it was Mrs. Pizzaro's ice cream parlor. Reader Maryann B. emailed me a few days ago to share her wonderful childhood memories of the place with me. I am sure you will enjoy them as much as I did.

Where the nail salon is presently, there used to be ( in the 50s-60s) a candy store owned by a Mrs. Pizzaro. The store had the classic soda fountain counter where you could by Breyer's vanilla ice cream (with the little flecks of vanilla bean in it), or ice cream sodas and egg creams. Towards the rear of the store were several tables & chairs where you could sit and enjoy your treats. Opposite the counter were two huge wood and glass display cases and glass jugs containing all sorts of penny candy: Mary Janes, Bit-o-Honey, Milk Duds, malted milk balls, candy necklaces, licorice strings and rods, pretzels, marshmallow peanuts, all the sorts of sugary stuff my mother didn't want me to have. Despite those admonitions, I can tell you that I was a regular customer as a child!

Is there anyone else out there that can add some details? Would love to hear more on Mrs. Pizzaro and her egg creams.


Related Reading:

Remembering Schooltime At St. Agnes In 1960


For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I love this story--wish The Ice Cream Parlor was still here.
We had Newman's in Park Slope (7th Ave.)where Key Food is across from the Church--sit down--classic ice cream parlor with lemon ice cream and great english muffins with butter and jam. Mom and I enjoyed many a good time there.