Thursday, May 14, 2009

Support Our Shelves Fundraiser For Brooklyn Public Library

oo

photo credit chrisc25 on Flickr.


Clever title, worthwhile cause. The Brooklyn Public Library is launching a fund raising campaign. Read on:

Our Support Our Shelves fundraising campaign is in its last month, and it's more important than ever to donate in light of the severe city budget cuts BPL is facing next month. If it goes through, BPL's materials budget will be cut by about 30%. Support Our Shelves is a three-month fundraising campaign in which BPL is appealing to community residents to give back whatever they can to help us build our collections in this time of economic uncertainty. Every donation counts, from one dollar to a thousand dollars, and donors can give to their local library or any branch they choose. Each donation helps us reach our $300,000 goal and provide the materials that our libraries need. Sadly, Carroll Gardens Library is far short of its $8,000 goal, with about $6,000 still needed. I was hoping that you might be willing to appeal to your readers to donate to help ensure our library can provide needed materials for our neighbors. If they'd like to give, they can call, give at the branch or give online here:

http://www.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/support/shelves/

There is a Support Our Shelves Fundraiser tomorrow night at Franklin Park Bar & Beer Garden from 6-9PM. The cost is $40 and all proceeds go to the SOS campaign for Clinton Hill Library.


1 comment:

Maryann B. said...

Thanks for posting this, Katia. Although I already donate to the BPL annually, I wasn't aware of this particular fund raiser, so I've just made a contribution to the effort specifically for the Carroll Gardens branch. While I was a student at St. Agnes School way back when, we would get a summer reading list every year from which we could chose, for example, one book from Column A, one from Column B, and another from Column C. My mother would take me to the CG branch before I was old enough to go on my own, and I would take out as many books as were allowed. By the end of any given summer, I had devoured at least half of the books on my list. I guess it was only a logical conclusion that I would have become an English major in college....