Thursday, October 01, 2009

Local Resident Writes To EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson

oo
Yankee, the dog



Last week, I posted a letter I wrote to the Environmental Protection Agency's Administrator, Lisa Jackson. I was prompted by reports that Mayor Bloomberg is lobbying against the Superfund Designation of the Gowanus Canal in Washington.
The fact that the majority of residents support the designation and that the EPA is supposed to be above politics, doesn't seem to matter.

I had included her address and the contact information and urged all of my readers to send their own letters.
Carroll Gardener Jean (Kitty) Farson did just that, and sent me her own letter to Lisa Jackson. With her permission,I am reprinting it below.


Dear Administrator Jackson,

I recently found out that the EPA has not listed the Gowanus Canal on the list of Superfund Sites. I am so very disappointed, as I am a strong supporter of the canal being listed as a Superfund Site.
I am a long time resident of Carroll Gardens (back when no one would even walk on Smith Street much less sit at an outdoor café and eat) and a home owner.
Until now, I strongly felt that the canal needed to be cleaned up under the Federal government based on quality of life and health of current and future residents. We have an extremely large influx of young families with small children in the last few years.
But I want to share a personal moment with you. I have attached a picture of my dogs, Yankee, the fawn male in the foreground, a beautiful Bullmastif/Pitbull mix we rescued after his owner was killed in the WTC on 9/11. He recently passed away from cancer, Lymphosarcome.
I walked Yankee every night down along Bond Street and sometimes down to the canal itself, as it was a favorite spot of his. I do not have scientific facts and figures citing any relationship between Lymphosarcoma and all the toxins in the canal and I am not suggesting there is even a connection.
I do wonder what will happen to our air quality and our overall quality of life if you allow the politicans to oversee the cleanup of the canal via unscruplous and out of state developers rather than allow the professional Environnemental Protection Agency team clean up the canal. I have even bigger concerns about how the contaminated soil will be hauled out of the site once the excavation is started. Will they simply drive it out in contaminated dump trucks or will there be some agency (ie EPA) to oversee that trucks are hosed down and clean before they drive up my block?
My neighborhood is very, very much in support of Superfunding the canal. I can only speak for myself, but I think Mayor Bloomberg and Caswell Holloway are very out of touch when it comes to our middle class Brownstone neighborhood and what is best for the future of the Gowanus Canal.

Respectfully submitted,
Jean Farson




Please, dear Reader, take some time to write to Administrator Jackson and to our elected Officials and let her know that Mayor Bloomberg is not representing the wishes of the community.





***Please send your own email or phone to the following:

*Lisa Jackson, Administrator, US Environmental Protection Agency
202-564-4700 email: jackson.lisap@epa.gov

*President Obama, The White House
email: http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact
Comments: 202-456-1111
Switchboard: 202-456-1414
FAX: 202-456-2461


*Governor David A. Paterson
State Capitol
Albany, NY 12224
518-474-8390
to email, click here

*NY Senator Charles Schumer: 914-734-1532

*NY Senator Kristin Gillibrand: 212-688-6262

*Representative Nydia Velazquez: 718-599-3658


For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"the majority of residents support the designation" is true and +90% of comments against the designation are businesses or property owners that will be sued or forced to relocate while the EPA conducts their cleanup.

What's your point?

Anonymous said...

8:24m your ignorance is showing BIG TIme. Or you are trying to deflect the reality and push your fear- mongering. The majority of the opposition against Superfund comes from big money that had been poised to make huge mega-million profits by exploiting the area, toxic and polluted as is. They don't care. Superfund opposition is coming from the most powerful lobbying interest (see the Mayor fighting for them?) in the city, and from the local people who brought them here -- the real estate developers with visions to fill in all the open spaces they see in Gowanus with their mega-umpteen story-condos.
We saw your (anonymous mostly) fear-mongering flyers being distributed into the community during the public comment period - Enough already. No one's buying.
Margaret