Thursday, January 07, 2010

"Nine Good Teeth": Meet Mary Mirabito Livornese Cavaliere, Born In Carroll Gardens/Red Hook In 1899

oo





photos courtesy of www.ninegoodteeth.com




Oh, what a beautiful movie. You will love it. It is deeply moving, both funny and truly touching
"Nine Good Teeth" is a lovely tribute to the life of Mary Mirabito Livornese Cavaliere, a spunky Italian-American, who was born in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn on September 8, 1899, the second of thirteen children. Actually, it would be more correct to say that she was born in Red Hook, as this was the official name of our neighborhood until realtors decided to give it a more picturesque name. (My friend Celia Cacase reminds me of that fact very often.)

The film was made in 1995 by Alex Halpern, her grandson, when 'Nana' was 96. Through interviews with Mary and relatives, Alex uncovers long-kept secrets and family tensions. Slowly, a portrait emerges of an intelligent,independent and capricious woman who has more spunk than many a younger person.

As you watch the movie, you will surely recognize Union Street at the corner of Clinton Street in one scene.
The movie was recently shown at the Eileen Dugan Senior Center on Court Street.

It is a truly touching and I hope you will take the time to watch it.



For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

5 comments:

Gina Holden said...

Hey Katia,

Happy New Year.
While sitting at home today, nursing a very bad cold, I sat and watched this film. Not only did it bring me back to Brooklyn but it reminded me of all the women that I grew up around. What a remarkable and tough lady not unlike many of her day.
Thanks for sharing.
Take care,
Gina, Kissimmee FL

Kelly said...

Hey, Gina,
Hope you are feeling a bit better.
Glad you liked the movie. Isn't it great?
I know Mary reached the age of 108. I hope she is still alive.

impa said...

Thank you Katia, the film was terrific!

Sylvie Morgan Brown said...

I would have loved to have known Mary

Kelly said...

Hi Sylvie,
I believe that Mary might still be alive. I checked the director's web site recently, and she had just celebrated her 108th birthday.
Can you imagine?