Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Can You Sew? The Arab-American Family Support Center Would Love Your Help

oo


photo credit: by Margarida Sardo on Flickr

AAFSC Sewing Volunteer Flyer


Dear Readers,

Here is a wonderful volunteer opportunity at the Arab-American Family Support Center at 150 Court Street. Their new "Sewing Institute" is made up of women who attend the center's weekly English and Arabic literacy classes. The aim is to teach new craft ideas specifically related to sewing, knitting, embroidery, cross-stitch and other skills.

If you sew, knit or crochet, you can make an amazing difference in the lives of these women.

The Support Center holds a special place in my heart. Nine years ago, it was my great pleasure to volunteer at the Arab-American Center. Weekly, I met with a small group of women and helped them with their English. Since I am an immigrant myself, I knew all too well the linguistic problems they were facing. Though I was there to teach them, I cannot tell you how much I learned about their countries, cultures and life experiences.

It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.


If interested in volunteering, please contact Renee Orser at AAFSC through email (renee@aafscny.org) or phone (718-643-8000 ext. 17). They are on Court St. between Pacific and Dean and are a kid-friendly environment, so stay-at-home moms are welcome!


The Arab-American Family Support Center

150 Court Street, 3rd Floor

Brooklyn, NY 11201

Tel: (718) 643-8000 ext. 17

Fax: (718) 797-0410

www.aafscny.org



For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

No comments: