Tuesday, July 02, 2013

A Day In Marseille

oo
IMG_3327
An areal view of some of the islands along the Mediteranean coastline.
IMG_3330
IMG_3341
A few photos of Marseille's old port.
IMG_3344
IMG_3345
IMG_3369
A lovely old building along the port.
IMG_3353
IMG_3370
IMG_3356
One of the streets of "Le Panier", the oldest section of Marseille.
IMG_3358
IMG_3359
IMG_3360
IMG_3363
IMG_3351
A small produce store
IMG_3347
A colorful balcony

As promised, my camera has been a constant companion on this vacation to Europe. After a lovely afternoon and evening in Düsseldorf,  my husband and I flew to Marseille, France, early this morning. Though there are an average of 300 days of sunshine in the city, heavy fog and a cold wind greeted us  when we arrived at our hotel in the old part of Marseille.  Luckily for us, it turned sunny in the afternoon.
Marseille is the oldest city in France.  It was founded about 600 A.D.  With about 860,000 inhabitants, it is also the second biggest  city in the country and has the largest port.
I have been in Marseille just once, ages ago when I was a child, but I always wanted to return to get to know the place better.  The city has a bit of a bad reputation because of crime and gang activity, but it is really quite lovely and should not be missed.
As spectacular as the old port is, the Mediteranean coast in front of Marseille is simply amazing.  My husband and I decided to take a boat trip to the Calanques, a twenty-mile long stretch of majestic coastline between Marseille and Cassis.  Calanque is a provençal word meaning 'cove'.  Charming old fishing villages are nestled amidst some of these coves.  Since access by car is very limited, the best way to access them is by boat.  It is well worth spending some extra time to explore them.
Below are a few of the best photos I took.
Tomorrow, we head to Nîmes.  Stay tuned.

IMG_3374
IMG_3377
IMG_3389
IMG_3396
IMG_3383
IMG_3399
IMG_3401
IMG_3402
IMG_3404
IMG_3384
IMG_3407
IMG_3417
IMG_3411





2 comments:

Sophia said...

I want that balcony!

Katia said...

You and me both. Actually, I want the balcony that the guy is standing on in the old building. More precisely, I want the apartment behind the balcony.