Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Smith Canteen on Smith Street To Close At End Of June

oo
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Sad news over the week-end.  Kerry Diamond, the owner of Smith Canteen at 343 Smith Street has announced that she will close the popular café at the end of June.
In a recent Facebook post, Diamond explained:
"I have some news to share. I've decided to sell @smithcanteen. We’ll be closing on June 30th. It was an incredibly hard decision because I love the Canteen and have put my heart and soul into it for the past year as the sole owner. But I had to be honest with myself that I just don’t have the bandwidth required to take this very special place on this magical corner in Carroll Gardens where it deserves to go. Even though the past year has kicked my ass and exhausted me, I'm grateful for every minute of it. I’ve always had a huge amount of empathy for people in this industry, but now I have it tenfold after a year of washing dishes and floors, figuring out a scheduling system, working the POS, making coffee (I still can’t pull a great espresso tho), and acquiring some light plumbing skills. I have so many people to thank for their generosity, patience, advice, and hard work, but I’ll save that for another post. It’s hard to close a chapter on one’s life, but here I go. (I could quote “Closing Time” here, but I’ll spare you.) For all of you addicted to the lemon-poppy seed muffins (or the blueberry ones, or the cookies) don’t worry. We’ll be sharing the recipes online next month. Thanks to everyone who’s been a part of the Smith Canteen story for the past eight years. It’s been amazing."

Since it opened 8 years ago, Smith Canteen has always drawn a huge crowd and no doubt, it will be missed by many. Perhaps a new owner can continue the café as is. It certainly is a great location and the interior of this former pharmacy lends itself perfectly to that use.

To Kerry, we are sad to see Smith Canteen go, but wish you luck in your future ventures.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where does she say that it will be closing?

Katia said...

Second sentence. She says she will be selling and closing Smith Canteen on June 30th.

Anonymous said...

More bad news for the neighborhood. So many new coffee shops have opened recently within three blocks of Smith Canteen (I count four) but this was the best of them.

Anonymous said...

She says she's selling it...

equilibrist said...

I’m sad that all of the places in her mini-empire will now be closed, but especially Wilma Jean, I miss that fried chicken something fierce.

I miss Obama said...

Terrible coffee

Anonymous said...

good. she was not nice to everybody so i have zero f(eeling)s to give.

the shop catered to white moms and communicated indifference to everybody else. and yes, the quality of their coffee was inconsistent at best, third-rate at worst.