Sunday, September 15, 2019

Pardon Me For Asking Is Back After A Long And Glorious Summer In The Auvergne, France

oo
Untitled
Pardon Me For Asking Is Back!
I know, I know! It has been a very long time since I updated this site and for that I apologize.
I would like to thank my many Pardon Me ForAsking readers who reached out this summer to inquire about me and about PMFA. First, let me assure you that everything is fine and that the long silence was due entirely to catching up with family and friends during a glorious summer in the countryside of the Auvergne, France. Every time I meant to sit down to post a few photos or write about this glorious place, my attention was drawn away from the computer and I won't lie, it felt good to enjoy life away from the internet for a bit.  
I just got back to Brooklyn a few days ago, and am ready to slip back into my Carroll Gardens life once again, but before I do, I just wanted to capture summer 2019 for those of you who enjoy following our tales of the Auvergne.
Untitled
As many of you know, I spent part of my childhood in this part of France, which is right in the center of France, known for its chain of volcanos (a UNESCO World Heritage site since 2018) and its unspoiled countryside.
Untitled
Every summer, for as long as I can remember, I have returned to this glorious place, to a small village high in the mountains, where people remember me as a child, and where my parents bought an old stone farmhouse in 1971.
Untitled
By the time my husband and I arrive in early summer, the sunflowers are in bloom
Untitled
and daylight only fades at 10 pm,
Untitled
giving way to some of the most spectacular sunsets.
Untitled
I love the open sky, the fact that I can see the weather changing in the far distance.
Untitled
The weather can change in a moment in the Auvergne, but
the summer of 2019 was one of the hottest ever recorded in France and temperatures hovered at or above 100 degrees for days on end.
Untitled
Only occasionally did it rain this year, but when it did, we had some rather spectacular storms pass over our house.
Untitled
We even had two hailstorms that luckily did not do too much damage.
However, almost immediately afterwards, the sun would reappear, relentlessly baking the earth.
Untitled
When I say that we are deep in the countryside, I really mean it. 
Untitled
There are fields, cows,
Untitled
the occasionally, donkey,
Untitled
and many other domestic animals.
Untitled
As I mentioned before, my parents bought an old stone farmhouse in 1971, just months after my family moved to the Auvergne from Germany.  It was our week-end and summer house while we lived here.
262596_258686120825456_6869589_n
This is it a year later,  after my parents had done some work to renovate the 1866 house. When, we moved to the United States in 1975, my mother insisted on keeping it, so she could return to France often.
This is my mother at the house in the early 1970s.  She was never as happy as when she was in the Auvergne and came back to it every year until she passed in 2003.
Untitled
Obviously, I share my mother's love of the place, which holds so many memories for me.
Here I am at the weekly market in Ambert, buying herbs for the garden.
Untitled
Going to the market is a real thrill and a big part of our vacation.
There is a market in different little towns every day, and the produce they offer is just wonderful.
Untitled
Not only is the fruit full of flavor
Untitled
the prices are still pretty low for the quality offered.
Untitled
Just look at this garlic
Untitled
and the fresh fish on offer.
Untitled
This is the view from my kitchen at the house. Many a meal was prepared here this summer.
Untitled
This was a fresh beet and red endive salad I made one night.
Untitled
And this was a sourdough bread I baked,. I scored my initial in it, but the K was not very recognizable when it came out of the oven.
Untitled
The house in the summer of 2018.
As in years past, our time here was spent working on the house. After having a brand new tiled roof put on in 2016, new window openings added in the attic in 2017, the back façade of the house repointed last year, it was time to attack some more projects.
Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 11.05.42 AM
Local artisan Christian D. made yet another new window opening into the house in the spring, before we arrived.
61466446_3379265279019869_8595208927803604992_n
He used granite stones to line the opening
Untitled
and then covered it until the ordered window can be installed.
Untitled
When we unblocked the opening, a flood of light came into that part of the attic.
Untitled
The new view over the valley is quite spectacular.
Untitled
The biggest undertaking this year was to continue to repoint the stones on the front of the house.My husband had always wanted to do this part of the renovation himself, though it seemed like a huge job. He began work on the façade last year and immediately started again this summer after we arrived. At first, he was perched on a ladder, which was rather dangerous.
Untitled
Later, our friend Christian D. lent him his scaffold, which made things so much easier...and safer.
Untitled
Glenn spent day after day on that scaffold,
Untitled
first drilling out the old lime and sand mixture, before applying new 'chaux',
which is formulated pretty much the same way as when the house was built in 1866.
Untitled
This is a section of the façade before, with its nasty cracks and holes,
Untitled
This is a section that has been repointed.
Untitled
Soon, our son and son-in-law arrived to help and things moved right along
Untitled
Sometimes, this is what vacation looks like when you take care of an old stone house in another country.
Untitled
My favorite improvement this summer was the little oak window my husband made for the round opening at the top.
You may remember that baby falcons had nested in that opening in 2016.
Untitled
Doesn't it look nice?
Untitled
Another big item off our to-do list was to move a giant 900 pound granite stone that had been used as a bench in the garden for as long as I remember.  Unfortunately, its location was not the best and no one had really sat on it for a very long time. The plan had always been to have it placed in front of the house.  Once again, Christian D. came to help.
Untitled
He brought over his small backhoe and lifted the stone up,
Untitled
and placed it exactly where we wanted it.
Untitled
My husband Glenn, Christian and me with Libellule, Christian's dog, trying it out for the first time.
Untitled
But by far the best part of summer 2019 was the time spent with Dove, our two year old grandson.
Untitled
He is the fourth generation of my family to love the Auvergne.
This was his second summer here in paradise.
Untitled
He was busy all day long
Untitled
and in between,  I stole many hugs
Untitled
and kisses, too.
Untitled
Can you tell he had fun?
Untitled
Sadly, all summers come to and end. It was time for last hugs,
and good-byes from dear friends.
Untitled
It is always difficult to leave this place to return home.
Untitled
Here, just a few more photos after all the work was done and the scaffolding was taken down.
The left side of the façade is all done. Next year, work continues on the right side.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
A double rainbow behind the house a few days before we left.
I tell you, this place is magic!
Untitled
PMFA will resume posting about Carroll Gardens now that we are back. We hope you will check in soon, as many things are coming up in the neighborhood.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonderful! we missed you!

Katia said...

Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Paradise found! What an idyllic life! Welcome back.

Katia said...

Indeed! I feel very lucky.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful!! I have been following this house and your adventures for years since you introduced me to your blog! Best wishes.

Katia said...

Thank you so much.

chançois le bliss said...

nice to know you're back in the neighborhood.

Katia said...

So nice to know I have been missed. Hope your summer was great, Chance Le Bliss

Anonymous said...

Hi Katia, I'm a longtime infrequent reader of your blog, and can I let you know how much I enjoy your Carroll Gardens and France posts. I love looking at photos of the hard work you do to keep your home looking good, and especially enjoy photos of the fresh produce at the markets you visit. Looking forward to next summer's update. :)

Katia said...

What a lovely comment. Thank you so much.

Fexley said...

Salut Katia - I love reading your blog for the Carroll Gardens info. (I'm a native) and for the french summer posts. Like you - my wife and I live in Brooklyn and have a place in France (Charente Maritime) - which is remarkably similar to yours. In fact - we've been contemplating poking a hole in the side for a new window - exactly as you just did. Our son is the re-pointing expert and has done quite a bit of work on our walls. Keep up the great posts!

Katia said...

The similarities are amazing. Do you still live in Brooklyn or in France full time?