Friday, November 22, 2019

World Pie Pizzeria Replaced by Jimbo's Hamburger And Pizza Palace On Court Street

oo
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
When I first moved to Carroll Gardens in the mid 1980's, there were quite a few family-owned pizzerias in the neighborhood. One of them was Mola's at 404 Court Street, run by what appeared to be two brothers who produced a decent slice at a reasonable price. It was no frills, but offered a perfect spot for a quick bite.
About 13 years ago, the family must have sold their pizzeria to another entity, which named their business World Pie Pizza.  I must admit that my family stopped going there at about that time, preferring to eat or order from Giardini's one block away on Smith Street.
It now appears that World Pie has closed as well. It is being replaced by "the Famous Jimbo's Hamburger And Pizza Palace, which seems to be a mini chainlet with several locations around the city.
If the Carroll Gardens location will be similar to the other Jimbos in the City, it will be a no-frills diner, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The menu will offer standard diner fair like hamburgers, sandwiches and  in this location's case...pizza.

What do you think? Is this a good addition to Court Street? Di you miss World Pie or are you excited for a diner/hamburger joint?
Which is your favorite Carroll Gardens slice?

The former World Pie at 404 Court Street

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh what a hideous sign. Such bad and cheap design. Pizzas are bad idea considering the options around. It looks like a drug front. And I never went to world pie. And I knew the Mola guy when he had hair.

Unknown said...

I liked Mola pizza, and also stopped going when it changed hands. My favorite has always been Sal's at Court and Degraw. I have been going there since 1973, when John was about 9 or 10. Sal and Maria were the best people, and they made a great pie then, as John does now.

Anonymous said...

I ordered a Sicilian pie last week from Giardini's because of World Pie was gone. What a disappointment. My personal opinion was that, of the utility pizza joints in the neighborhood, World Pie was the best. Sal's pie's are consistently the worst. It's always wet, soggy pizza soup and incredibly salty.

anita slijs said...

best slice in the neighborhood? easy. frank and frank's new joint. their sauce has that umami je ne sais quoi that really ties the whole room together.

worst slice in the neighborhood? just as easy. sal's. the best they can offer still tastes like cardboard smothered in tomato paste then sprinkled with the kind of sawdust you'd find in parmesan knock-offs.

Anonymous said...

I was sad when I realized that World Pie closed for business, of all the pizza shops around WP was the only one with a decent slice, my favorite was grandma,vodka and plain,they had a good sauce, their chicken franchese was delish to bad the owners didn't told us, the loyal customers they were closing, I think was unfair, but anyway, they must have their reasons. I have tried Sal's, Giardini and Vía Roma... Not even close to what WP served. I think this new Jimbo's is good for Court Street, I heard they are open for breakfast at 6 am, and they have burgers and pizza, many familias will be happy, will give 'em a shot and post a feedback.