Saturday, October 17, 2020

PMFA Is Back In Brooklyn

oo
For those who have been missing PMFA, I apologize for the long silence. A few days ago, I returned to Brooklyn after a trip to France and Germany, which had originally been planned for this past May, but had to be postponed because of Covid.

My husband and I  spend most of the time away in my family's country house in a remote section of the Auvergne in France. There, as in the United States, the pandemic has brought about many changes, but
we felt so lucky to have made it there at all.

The trip was bittersweet. My father was supposed to spend some time here with us this summer, but 2020 had other plans. He passed away unexpectedly in June, so walking into the stone farmhouse he bought in 1971 without him was hard. It holds so many memories.

The weather in early September was spectacular. One day was lovelier than the next.
Most days, we were able to eat outside and I spent countless hours working in the garden. Our neighbors had taken good care of the house during our absence, but the weeds had spent the long summer invading the flowerbeds. 
Though the bigger improvements on the house will have to wait, some smaller projects were completed. My husband continued some stonework and expanded the pebble walk from the shed to the house.
It looked quite nice when it was all finished and I love the crunch of pebbles under my shoes.
It was not all work, though. 
Occasionally, we had time for a round of pétanque in the evening.
On Saturdays, we drove to Issoire, a nearby town, for market day. 
It remains one of my favorite things to do while here.
I always look for this older gentlemen and his little cart.
Most of the produce at the market is picked that day and food prices are rather reasonable 
compared to New York.
The taste and smell of these sun-ripened strawberries was amazing
We mostly buy our saucissons from this vendor.
This being 2020, there were quite a few vendors selling masks.
As the weeks passed, summer started to fade and the leaves were slowly changing their color
The fields were veiled in fog in the mornings. Nights became colder
Blue skies made ways for dark clouds and rain.
and more and more rain. A whole week of it.
The temperatures dipped and we made fires to stay warm in the house. 
We knew that it was time to leave before it got even colder.
So, we closed the house with a heavy heart, drove away, hoping that we can return again next year.

Back in Brooklyn, the suitcases are unpacked.  the pile of mail which arrived in our absence has been looked through, and the passports safely put away till next time.

Please join me here again as I resume posting about Carroll Gardens. I am looking forward to covering  news of our neighborhood.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Greetings Katia,

Stunning photos, as always! The countryside is still lush and green, despite the calendar. Thanks for sharing!

So glad you got to spend some time in the Auvergne. Although bittersweet without your Dad, I’m sure fond memories of him will always remain there.

Glad you are back safely in Brooklyn!

Katia said...

Thank you for your kind words.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home.

Glad you had an enjoyable and safe trip.

I hope the thought of your parents, despite them not being there, bring you happiness when you are at your home in France. Hopefully, you smile when they visit you through those wonderful memories.

Now back to the psycho-drama that is NYC, NYS, and the US.

I am sure if you could, you would have been happy to wait out the Pandemic in France.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing these photos and news on your trip. It is so up-lifting to see real people across the ocean are getting on with life under the pandemic.

News of real people, from real people, is always more meaningful than what we are feed by the corporate media outlets.

Katia said...

You may be correct. If we had central heating in our house, I would have been tempted. But we only have a wood stove and a fireplace and it gets cooollllllddd in the winter.

Katia said...

Yes, life continues...with masks...everywhere. It felt great getting away and realizing that we are all in this together.

equilibrist said...

May I ask how it is that you were allowed to travel to Europe during the travel ban? Are there exceptions for those who have dual citizenship? Honestly, I didn’t think there were even any flights.

Katia said...

Fair question. There are limited flights to Europe. Yes, as a citizen or dual citizen you are allowed entry. I did have to get tested for Covid at the airport on arrival in Germany, which I was happy to do.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this beautiful trip to someplace else! Your words and pictures did me a great deal of good. :) I've been missing your posts, it's great to have you back. Wishing you and your husband well.

Katia said...

That is just so kind of you. Thank You!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing these photos and the details of your life there! I loved reading this post!

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.