Monday, March 31, 2008

Once Upon A Time: Carroll Gardens' Pony Cart Vendor

oo

photo credit: Linda Blyer

Do you remember, dear reader, the wonderful picture of the horse drawn wagons delivering Union Dairy And Borden's milk to Brooklyn homes that I posted here a few days ago? Well, our friend Maria Pagano sent me this little note over the week-end:
The horse drawn milk wagon was a bit before my time, but this guy I do
remember. How about you?
Oh, I definitely remember. When I first moved into the neighborhood, I would see him either on Clinton or Henry Street with his merchandise of the day. Vegetables, fruits and sometimes, in the fall, pretty mums.
He would walk all the way into the Heights, his little pony following him slowly.
I had forgotten about him until Maria sent this wonderful photo. It is from the
mid-80's.
Does anybody know what happened to this charming duo?
Thanks, Maria, for sending it this way.

Related reading:

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember hearing that he stabled the pony somewhere around Columbia
St. I don't even have a clue as to who he was.
Maria

Anonymous said...

When I was growing up in CG, I remember a fruit/vegetable peddler named Andy. That was back in the 60s. I don't remember when he stopped coming around, but he would always stop on President St at the corner of Hoyt by the fire hydrant. He had a normal-sized horse, not a pony, and the cart was much larger.

Anonymous said...

oh for crying out loud people!

walk yourself over to the corner of court and warren sts, and into the vegetable market and say hello to jimmie...and his son carmine.

Anonymous said...

if i'm not mistaken, thats Tompkins place, the block I grew up on. I remember the horse carts, i think there was one that sold flowers too. they ould always ring a bell when they got on the block to announce their arrival. I remember when trucks z(not horse dawn) would deliver seltzer bottles and syrup for different sodas...

Anonymous said...

Indeed, he still stops in for a drink each night at Either Clinton Cafe or at Boca Lupo. See him all the time.

Anonymous said...

The guy who used to come around Third Place in the 60s was named "Tucker" I remember he lived on Nelson St and I believe his last name was Visco. My sister went to St. Mary's w/ his nephew. He used to keep the horse in a stable on Columbia Street. I remember he let me go on the horse once.

Kelly said...

How cool.
Tell us more please! I love stories from Carroll Gardens' past.

Kelly said...

How cool.
Tell us more please! I love stories from Carroll Gardens' past.

Fenfox1 said...

Does anyone know exactly where on Columbia street this stable may have been?

VanAllen said...

I think his name was Chici the fruit man, I lived on 7 Denton place in 70's

VanAllen said...

I remember. We called him Chici the fruit man,he stopped in front of the apartment 7 Denton Place.

Anonymous said...

That was my Uncle Salvatore Ferraiuolo. He lived at 113 West 9th St.between Hamilton Ave and Henry St. He passed away in 2003.

Anonymous said...

It was at 113Wesr 9th St.

Anonymous said...

Thank you I cringe every time people say he is someone else