Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Though The Façade At 350 DeGraw Street Is Finally Connected To A Building, Problems Persist At Construction Site

The original building at 350 DeGraw Street. (image credit: Google.com)
IMG_6751
Photo of new construction at 350 DeGraw Street in April 2014
IMG_6752
Façade without a building: 350 DeGraw Street in April 2014
IMG_2611
In January 2015
IMG_2616
IMG_2613
IMG_2614
IMG_2615
IMG_2624
You may remember the long construction saga of 350 DeGraw Street between Court and Smith Street.
Since the spring of 2014, only the brick façade of a new building had been erected.  The rest of the walls were missing entirely.  Though in the past few months, the building has been nearing completion, problems with the NYC Department of Buildings have persisted.

It all started in May 2013, when D.o.B. issued permits for alterations to the existing three story brick building to a four story building. However, instead of enlarging the existing structure, the entire building was demolished.
Though the DoB received several 311 calls in regards to the illegal demolition, the agency did not act until the structure had been entirely dismantled and the new façade was going up.

By October 2013, the Department issued a 'notice to revoke' the permit and several violations were noted, including one violation for demolition work that did not conform to original plans.
In addition, a complete stop-work-order was imposed because the percentage of existing walls remaining was less than what had been indicated on the approved plans. In addition, the existing foundation wall had been undermined and had become unstable.

That Stop Work Order was partially rescinded by DoB to allow installation of a waterproofing membrane on the adjoining building and to backfill the excavated foundation.

The owner of 350 DeGraw Street subsequently filed for the legalization of the demolition and for the proper permits for a new 4,998 s.f. four story residential apartment building. The plans were approved on March 31st, 2014.

However, trouble continued at the site. Throughout 2014, more stop work orders and violations were issued for "work without permit" as well as "missing sections of construction fence, no protection of adjacent rear yards, as well as insufficient bracing and shoring."

As of today, the site has accumulated an impressive amount of monetary fines, totaling about $13,600, none of which have been paid so far. In addition, the construction site has been slapped with a "violation for failure to certify correction of Class A violation exist[ing] on this property. DOB Civil Penalties due."

Care to take a guess if this building will be completed this year?



4 comments:

Jack Ravio said...

"the site has accumulated an impressive amount of monetary fines, totaling about $13,600"
Oh- they will make that back in a month on one rental in that building.

Brooklynmf said...

Completed, rented, and fines ignored...that's my guess

Anonymous said...

I was sad when that little twin was destroyed.
That end of the block is a mash up of BS. I hope it's never rented. I saw them hoisting drywall or concrete blocks with a giant crane on a Saturday.

bored at work said...

I dont think you can secure your C of O with outstanding fines on the property. And you cant rent or close w/o a C of O. So the fines will get paid.

And frankly, as bad as the construction is and was, its better to be completed and occupied than sitting vacant or incomplete, like the property diagonally across DeGraw Street.