Thursday, October 04, 2007

Harding's Gravy Turns Into Trout On Smith

oo
(The New Trout Restaurant on Smith)


(Harding's Restaurant Row on Pacific)


( Pacifico's unappetizing neighbor on Pacific)

Alan Harding, one of the first restaurateurs on Smith, has surely come up with a clever way of squeezing tables and chairs into the most unusual places. Where others may only see abandoned lots, Harding sees a way of making money. Take for example the corner of Pacific and Smith Streets , on which Harding managed to open not one but three eating establishments and one drinking place. Lets see: There is Pacifico, there is La Rosa Pizza, there is Trout, the beer garden and now, there is Trout, the fish shack which replaces Gravy, the ill fated diner.
I don't even know if this cluster of ramshackle establishments even has separate kitchens or if the food all comes out of a single cooking spot. One think I know is that Pacifico and Trout The Bar are located in formerly abandoned lots. Hammered together with what seem to be a few boards, decorated à la chabby chic, the initial investment for Harding was a minimum. The rent for any of these lots and the one story building along Smith that houses the new Trout Fish Shack and La Rosa must be cheap compared to the other storefront on Smith. All of which means that Harding is sure squeezing the most profit out of these places.
What amazes me more than anything about Hasting's cluster restaurants, especially Pacifico, is that the customers obviously don't care that they are sitting right next to a parking lot. Not too appetizing as far as I am concerned, but hey, maybe I am just too finicky. But it sure ain't fine dining.

3 comments:

Lisanne said...

Is that lobster big enough?

I have to say I like Pacifico...I've been there in the winter and it's cozy and I didn't notice the parking lot! It is pretty ballsy to wrap 3 restaurants around a corner owned by one person..

This evening I walked home from work in Ft. Greene back to C.G and walked up Smith and passed the new bar "Great Harry's" or something like that and saw a bunch of people with their SUV strollers in the bar looking pretty lit...it was like a hipster parents with newborns happy hour that went way past happy hour...gross.

Kelly said...

Is Great Harry the bar that was formerly known as "The Bar"
I tell you, its tough keeping up with the Smith Street switching.
Yes, I am with you about babies in bars. I must have been a real boring mother when mine where small. They were safely tucked into their cribs at night and I fell asleep on the couch totally exhausted. The new crop of parents must be hipper and more energetic than I ever was.

Anonymous said...

I have to count myself as a Pacifico fan, too - friendly, casual, welcoming and I like the food, too. The parking lot doesn't bother me a bit.