Sunday, November 04, 2007

Brooklyn Marathon 1909

oo
click on picture to enlarge

Forget the New York Marathon ( which is happening right now while I lazily sit on my couch.) At one time, Brooklyn had its very own if we believe the hand -written caption under this vintage photograph.
According to this old picture found on the internet, this race was held on February 12,1909. I have no idea where in Brooklyn, though.

And did you know that on November 16th, 1901,
3 autos raced on Ocean Parkway, Brooklyn. The fastest speed was achieved by Henry Fournier who drove a mile in 51 4/5 seconds.

For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking


Digg!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just purchased a copy of this photo. It is of the 1909 Brooklyn-Sea Gate Marathon. It originated at the 13th Regiment Armory located on Sumner Ave. (now Marcus Garvey Blvd.)between Jefferson and Putman Avenues in Bed Stuy to Sea Gate in Coney Island and back. I have a NY Times Article about it (I can send it to you to post if you'd like). When I scanned the image at a hi-res. I was able to read the street signs... and then track down the article. Katia, I live on President street and I enjoy your site very much! I have a great love for our neighborhood and I have a lot of old photos of the neighborhood that I have restored. You've even posted some photos that you had taken of my holiday decorations! Keep up the good work, thanks for keeping us in touch with what is going on in Carroll Gardens!!

Alexandrea said...

Here is a link to the November 16th, 1901 Race.

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/categories/category.php?category_id=23&id=16766

Alexandrea said...

Here is the link to the NY Times article about the Marathon.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=
9A02E7D81738E033A25750C1A9
649C946897D6CF

Kelly said...

Hi Alexandrea,
Thank you so much for sending me the information. I love Brooklyn history!
Yes, please, I would love to read and post the article.
And if you would like to share any of your old photos, I am more than happy to put them on the blog. Of course with your name.
You can email me any time at pardonmeinbrooklyn@gmail.com.
I am sure others would enjoy them too.