Friday, March 07, 2008

Another Carroll Gardens Street Corner Falls Prey To Massey Knakal

oo
(photo credit: Massey Knakal)

click on picture to enlarge



****This just in from my friend Barbara****




Holy cow, is Massey Knakal knocking on every retail door here in Carroll Gardens touting their real estate services to landlords? Just about two weeks ago, I reported that Casa Rosa at the corner of Court and President had been adorned by the tell-tale green and white Massey Knakal sign. Now it's 408-412 Court, at the corner First Place. For as long as I can remember, there has been a laundromat in that location. Sure seems as though the realtor is trying to market the place for use as a restaurant or bank. Here is the agent's description of the place:

Location:

SW Corner of 2nd Pl

Map of 412 Court St

Ground Floor:

1,500 SF (approx)

Frontage:
60 ft

Transit:

One block to F- and G-lines at Carroll St stop on Smith St.

Convenient to B75, B71, B77, & B38 bus lines

Nearby Tenants:

CVS, Chase, Citibank, North Fork Bank, Dunkin Donuts


Yeah! That's what the neighborhood really needs, another restaurant, bank or chain store. At the rate this is going, there won't be a laundromat or dry cleaner left in C.G.




Does anyone in the neighborhood remember what was kind of store was in that spot before the laundromat?



Related Reading

'Casa Rosa' For Sale On Court


For Home Page, click Pardon Me For Asking

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in CG (I am 54 yrs old), and as far back as I can remember, the corner space was always a laundromat. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone out there in the same age group :) There used to be a Dairy Queen next door (of which I was a frequent young customer!), and prior to that, it was a Kentucky Fried Chicken for a short period of time. I think most people will agree we certainly don't need another bank or restaurant. All of CG's vital everyday services are disappearing at an alarming rate.

Kelly said...

A Dairy Queen?
I could go for that, though I don't need the extra poundage that would inevitably go along with the milk shakes.
I never knew there was a Kentucky Fried Chicken place in Carroll Gardens.

Great Info. Thanks. I love this kind of stuff.

Any slightly older readers out there who can tell us what was there even before that?

We are all dying to find out!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I'm not that old but the laundromat and the ice cream parlor that really only sells lottery tickets next door are both run by a really sweet older couple. I've lived on second place since 1993 and both places were there back then. It would be a shame to see them close, especially since that's where I do my laundry!

Katia said...

Can't do your wash in a bank or in a drug store. That's for sure.

Anonymous said...

Eewwwwww!!!!!!... 2:13 pm here...I never considered myself "that old"...I'm quite "young" and savvy for my age, kiddies! (Wait til you get there, and I'm positive you will feel the same way!) In any event, yes, the Kentucky Fried Chicken was short-lived. I don't remember exactly how young I was, maybe 10 or 11, but I do remember its being a real novelty...a fast food place in an Italian neighborhood?!?! Blasphemy!!! Anyway, my father thought it was fun and bought us a "bucket" of fried chicken and all the fixin's for dinner one night. It was, indeed, fun, but we never bought it again...LOL. We'll stick to home-cooked Italian meals, thank you!

Anonymous said...

well... I think I am the youngest of all and have never seen this building, but did want to say that is looks like a hot property. I do hope the ground level shops hold mom & pops, but hope that they get classier signs that would complement the architecture. The current signage is disgraceful and disregards what looks like a well-preserved architectural masterpiece...

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is actually on the corner of First Place and Court and I think it is owned by the same people that own Magin fountain next door.

Kelly said...

Ooops, you are so very right. First Place it is. I'll change it on the post immediately. thanks for spotting the mistake.

Anonymous said...

The owners run both the laundry and the lottery ticket store (you wouldn't buy anything else) and are far from"sweet". The woman is an old crab who is regularly rude to customers - refusing to refund money when the driers don't work (25 cents!) and telling customers "Good for you" when they ask for help. It is the worst service of the worst kind.

They also got into problems recently with their scaffold.A guy fell off and hurt himself. A whole lot of cops came and the city shut down the site. It turned out the work was all illegal and they were cutting corners on safety. So refusing to refund 25 c for the drier is probably no big deal to them in light of that.

If a business comes in that respects local customers (and workmen) then good riddance, no matter how long they have been here.